Re: [ANE-2] The pot and the womb

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2010
      I am not a mystical believer, though I've no doubt there were many in the
      past, and know little of the subject. But you asked about a connection
      with pot burials - a subject I published on in the 1970's. I found a
      relationship between salt making evidence - Briquetage - and evidence of
      the distribution of the Urnfielders in Europe during the Hallstatt
      period. They proceeded east to west but bypassed Brittany until the
      later Iron Age (La Tene).

      Philosophically the closest association with the 'mysteries' that I can
      come is that salt was seen as one of the 'mysteries' - and to this day
      mineral processes are kept secret and locked up in bank vaults (Coco Cola
      is one of them as we all know) and I know a saltmaker who keeps his
      process locked up in a bank, as did his father before him. I suppose
      what I am suggesting is that philosophical ways were found to cope with
      things that were not understood in antiquity. And alhough 'mystical'
      has a religious bent, that differentiates it from 'mysteries' - may, in
      this way be connected.

      I know I will quic kly be corrected by those more informed if I am wrong
      :)

      Beatrice

      Todd Swanson

      >What¬Ýremains interesting to me as well is if there is a connection to pot
      >burials¬Ýas evidenced at Eleusis and other areas throughout the
      >Mediterranean and ancient world.
      >
      >Todd Swanson
      >www.eleusinianmysteries.org
      >
      >¬Ý

      Beatrice Hopkinson,
      Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
      Board Member, Archaeological Institute of America
      President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust, U.K
      Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
      (beahopkinson@...)

      818 766 7780