RE: [ANE-2] stone mandala somewhere in israel...

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
      It's not a mandala, nor from a synagogue, nor actually in Israel by some
      lights. It is a window grill from the Umayyad palace of Hisham ibn Abd
      al-Malik (724-743) or Caliph al-Walid II (743-744) now called Khirbet
      al-Mafjar near Jericho in the West Bank.

      See

      http://www.gardenvisit.com/assets/madge/khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg/600x/
      khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg_600x.jpg

      Trudy Kawami

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
        Thank you for the information.

        Cheers,

        Jeffrey Trapold

        It is a window grill from the Umayyad palace of Hisham ibn Abd
        al-Malik (724-743) or Caliph al-Walid II (743-744) now called Khirbet
        al-Mafjar near Jericho in the West Bank.

        See

        http://www.gardenvisit.com/assets/madge/khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg/600x/khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg_600x.jpg

        Trudy Kawami

      • Lampros F. Kallenos
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
          The broken column behind this window appears at the left and
          then at the right of the other photo. I am quessing that
          one of the photos is reversed.

          (Well, it is either this, or the ancients discovered quantum
          architecture).

          _____________________________
          Lampros F. Kallenos
          Idalion, Lefkosia
          Kypros
          --
        • eliot braun
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2010
            This is from the well known site called Hisham's Palace, just outside of Jericho; not in Israel.  The site was excavated during the British Mandate for Palestine period, I believe by Hamilton. It's got an extraordinary series of beautiful mosaic floors; lots of stone and plaster work decorations, including some unusual iconography. The Palestinians are, so I understand, working on the site to make it into a tourist venue of special interest; it was open in the past but from a friend I understand it will be even more special.

            There is a good overview on it, with bibliography in the New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land.

            Eliot Braun, Ph D
            PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
            Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096