stone mandala somewhere in israel...

  • jefftrapold@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hello -

      Please see the new photo that Bob Whiting has
      posted for me on the yahoo group page:

      I took this picture at a dig site in Israel in 1992.
      However, I cannot remember the location or name
      of the archaeological site. I have been trying to identify.

      Does anyone know where this is from?
      Does anyone have information about this object?

      I seem to recall that it is from a synagogue site
      and thought it was from Susya. However I can't
      remember the details, as I visited several sites.

      The archaeologist who gave tour of the site said
      that it was an anomaly and was uncertain of it's
      origins or symbolic significance.

      Any information would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Jeffrey Trapold, Architect

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
        It's not a mandala, nor from a synagogue, nor actually in Israel by some
        lights. It is a window grill from the Umayyad palace of Hisham ibn Abd
        al-Malik (724-743) or Caliph al-Walid II (743-744) now called Khirbet
        al-Mafjar near Jericho in the West Bank.

        See

        http://www.gardenvisit.com/assets/madge/khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg/600x/
        khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg_600x.jpg

        Trudy Kawami

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
          Thank you for the information.

          Cheers,

          Jeffrey Trapold

          It is a window grill from the Umayyad palace of Hisham ibn Abd
          al-Malik (724-743) or Caliph al-Walid II (743-744) now called Khirbet
          al-Mafjar near Jericho in the West Bank.

          See

          http://www.gardenvisit.com/assets/madge/khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg/600x/khirbat_al-mafjar_2019_jpg_600x.jpg

          Trudy Kawami

        • Lampros F. Kallenos
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
            The broken column behind this window appears at the left and
            then at the right of the other photo. I am quessing that
            one of the photos is reversed.

            (Well, it is either this, or the ancients discovered quantum
            architecture).

            _____________________________
            Lampros F. Kallenos
            Idalion, Lefkosia
            Kypros
            --
          • eliot braun
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2010
              This is from the well known site called Hisham's Palace, just outside of Jericho; not in Israel.  The site was excavated during the British Mandate for Palestine period, I believe by Hamilton. It's got an extraordinary series of beautiful mosaic floors; lots of stone and plaster work decorations, including some unusual iconography. The Palestinians are, so I understand, working on the site to make it into a tourist venue of special interest; it was open in the past but from a friend I understand it will be even more special.

              There is a good overview on it, with bibliography in the New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land.

              Eliot Braun, Ph D
              PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
              Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096