Special April 1st edition of BookNews

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      With apologies for the cross-posting, but the printers at Winged Bull
      Press have been working overtime!

      Spring is finally here, and the many avid gardeners among us are turning
      over a new leaf - quite literally, in the case of our compost piles.
      With that in mind, we bring you four new products from partner Winged
      Bull Press on the themes of "green" and "compost." Happy digging!

      Download Our New Baroque Cuneiform Fonts FREE!
      Perfect for wedding invitations and other occasions that require both
      flair and cuneiform. Full Unicode compatibility. Includes roman, italic,
      bold, bold italic, and small caps.

      Find this, the "Deal of the Decade," and all the latest Winged Bull
      Press titles here:
      http://www.eisenbrauns.com/pages/04012010

      Enjoy the special deals,
      James
      ________________________________
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax: 574-269-6788
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
        I'm intrigued by the mention of Roman and (more generally) Italic cuneiform on that page. Is this a form of Ugaritic that might have been brought to the West, and hence been the inspiration for the Greek alphabet? or hiterto unknown evidence for Mesopotamian seafarers in the Western Sea -- perhaps Luvians, Assyrians -- or, even earlier, Mariotes -- seeking a westward route to Dilmun that avoided the hostile territories farther east? --
        Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

      • Jeffrey B Gibson
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
          On 4/1/2010 11:39 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
          > I'm intrigued by the mention of Roman and (more generally) Italic cuneiform on that page. Is this a form of Ugaritic that might have been brought to the West, and hence been the inspiration for the Greek alphabet? or hiterto unknown evidence for Mesopotamian seafarers in the Western Sea -- perhaps Luvians, Assyrians -- or, even earlier, Mariotes -- seeking a westward route to Dilmun that avoided the hostile territories farther east? --

          Um ... what day is it?

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
            Peter,

            I think that these "Mesopotamian seafarers" might better be termed
            Antide-luvians. :-)

            Trudy Kawami

            ________________________________

            I'm intrigued by the mention of Roman and (more generally) Italic
            cuneiform on that page. Is this a form of Ugaritic that might have been
            brought to the West, and hence been the inspiration for the Greek
            alphabet? or hiterto unknown evidence for Mesopotamian seafarers in the
            Western Sea -- perhaps Luvians, Assyrians -- or, even earlier, Mariotes
            -- seeking a westward route to Dilmun that avoided the hostile
            territories farther east? --
            Peter T. Daniels grammatim@... <mailto:grammatim%40verizon.net>

          • George F Somsel
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
              Peter,

              Note the date.  This is an Eisenbraun's tradition.
               george
              gfsomsel

              … search for truth, hear truth,
              defend the truth till death.

              - Jan Hus
              _________

              Peter T. Daniels grammatim@verizon. net

            • Robert M Whiting
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
                George,

                I think Peter's question (or observation) was in much the same vein as the
                original posting. I'm surprised how many people fell for it.

                Bob Whiting
                whiting@...