Jerusalem after Hadrian

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7 2:44 PM
      After the Bar Kochba revolt was put down, Hadrian banned Jews from entering Jerusalem and rebuilt it as a Roman city named Aelia Capitolina. With no Jews allowed in the city, who populated it? I can't seem to find any texts that address this question.

      Jim Lancaster
      Tustin, CA
    • Edrey, Meir
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14 6:00 AM
        I'm not familiar with any text but a recent excavation in Shuafat, in east Jerusalem unearthed a wealthy Jewish settlement dated to after the revolt.
        This is the best link I could find in English:
        http://www.sawfnews.com/lifestyle/35323.aspx

        Meir Edrey,
        Mainz, DEU
        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16 12:22 AM
          I was a Field Supervisor (one of several) in the Shuafat excavation.
          Although this is not my period of specialization, I was convinced that the
          site, which apparently dates after the fall of Jerusalem and before Bar
          Kokhba, was a Jewish, or at least partially a Jewish site: note the presence
          of miqvaot, stone vessels, etc. As for it having been a wealthy settlement,
          in one of my fields we exposed a bath complex (caldarium, mosaic floors,
          etc.) which does support such a conclusion.

          Rachel Bar Natan (IAA) is currently writing up the final report of this
          important excavation.

          Sam Wolff