Re: [ANE-2] Dates for Solomon and David

  • victor avigdor hurowitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2010
      Thomas,
      What would Abdi-Hapa's subjects/constituents have called him?

      Will you accept ahz]yhu.br.yhwrm.mlk.btdwd?

      When are the earliest LMLK seals from?

      Would you deny Hezekiah the title melek because Sennacherib doesn't call
      him $arru? (but does refer to Urusalim as al $arruti$u).

      As for firm dating of David and Solomon, the very fact that both
      David and Solomon are said to have reigned 40 years each indicates that
      their reigns are "typological", but following them the chronology starts
      to look "normal". So say that the reigns of the founders of the dynasty
      have been legendized.

      Victor Hurowitz
      BGU

      On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:

      > Apropos of Mazar's new interpretations for old walls: I do not know of any seriously persuasive historical argument for dating Solomon or David to the 10th century. Certainly the biblical chronology is far from secure. When is our earliest archaeologically confirmed date for a "king" in Jerusalem?
      > Thomas
      >
      > Thomas L. Thompson
      > Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen
      >

      > David Hall wrote:
      > William
      > > Dever and Mazar have stuck with their 10th century dating high chronology
      > > dates. The C-14 dating must have been calibrated with what were thought to be known
      > > historical markers as it was thought C-14 levels in the atmosphere
      > > fluctuated chronologically and from region to region. Some Syro-Canaanite
      > > pottery dating science goes back to the time of W.F. Albright when Pierre Montet
      > > found tombs at Byblos full of pottery and dated it by Egyptian scarab
      > > seals found insitu. Albright noted some of the pottery types at Byblos were
      > > also used in Canaanite areas. It was thought you could not get a
      > > date more accurate than within 50 years using pottery dating. Some forms
      > > persisted longer than 50 years.
      > >
      > > This dig is at Ophel above the Old City perimeter road. The ruins
      > > probably extend under the road as well.

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2010
        Isn't it likely that "tribal chieftains" are more accurate in the 10th
        century and prior and "kings" are anachronistic titles given to them when
        there actually were kings of Israel and Judah? It is difficult, however, to
        envision a tribal chief in a palace behind 20 foot walls. Since this wall
        lies on bedrock I would assume it was erected during the first major
        construction and it comes down to "who did it?"

        Jack Kilmon

        > Apropos of Mazar's new interpretations for old walls: I do not know of any
        > seriously persuasive historical argument for dating Solomon or David to
        > the 10th century. Certainly the biblical chronology is far from secure.
        > When is our earliest archaeologically confirmed date for a "king" in
        > Jerusalem?
        > Thomas
        >
        > Thomas L. Thompson
        > Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen
        >

        > David Hall wrote:
        > William
        >> Dever and Mazar have stuck with their 10th century dating high chronology
        >> dates. The C-14 dating must have been calibrated with what were thought
        >> to be known
        >> historical markers as it was thought C-14 levels in the atmosphere
        >> fluctuated chronologically and from region to region. Some
        >> Syro-Canaanite
        >> pottery dating science goes back to the time of W.F. Albright when Pierre
        >> Montet
        >> found tombs at Byblos full of pottery and dated it by Egyptian scarab
        >> seals found insitu. Albright noted some of the pottery types at Byblos
        >> were
        >> also used in Canaanite areas. It was thought you could not get a
        >> date more accurate than within 50 years using pottery dating. Some forms
        >> persisted longer than 50 years.
        >>
        >> This dig is at Ophel above the Old City perimeter road. The ruins
        >> probably extend under the road as well.

        > 07:22:00

      • Antonio Lombatti
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2010
          Here:

          http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/missing-pyramid-mystery-pharaoh-found.html

          Antonio Lombatti

          ----------------------------------
          http://www.antoniolombatti.it

        • Joe Zias
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2010
            This for me is more in the realm of sci-fi, I once was sent to Moscow to evaluate some 'top secret' work by a Russian who claimed to have located a few of these pyramids and was afraid the KGB would steal his data. After 30 seconds I realized the guy was completely off his rocked. When I asked to see the evidence he pulled out a may of Egypt and a Jewish Star of David and showed that by playing around with the star some of the monuments were in alignment, for those empty spaces where his theory was off, he simply said that one has to dig here as this is where the missing monuments are.

            Joe Zias www.joezias.com
            Anthropology/Paleopathology

            Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
            Jerusalem, Israel