Re: the death of d.j. wiseman

  • Brian Colless
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8 2:48 AM
      Yes, Donald Wiswman was a gentleman and a scholar.

      In my little "sub-department" of Religious Studies, here at Massey
      University in New Zealand, we could not afford to pay for visiting
      professors, but somehow in the 1970s he turned up to give a lecture on
      covenants and treaties, in which he mentioned his friend Agatha
      Christie, of course, and noted that Dr Colless was doing some work on
      the social roles attributed to YHWH (starting from the covenant
      documents as pertaining to the RULER role, and The torah as the ones
      connected with the MOREH, theDivine EDUCATOR). I had a whole afternoon
      to share mutual pursuits, a real thrill for me in my isolation.

      Much later, I took up his idea that in Daniel 6:28 the 'and' in "the
      reign of Darius [the Mede] and the reign of Cyrus the Persian" should
      be translated 'even' ('that is'), indicating that the author gave
      Cyrus a double identity, and I argue that the reason was so that the
      prediction could be fulfilled that Babylon would be taken by the
      Medes, and I conctructed a table of the beasts and empires, arguing
      that it did have a separate Median empire. That was published in
      JSOT , which was founded by my friend David Clines (we were at
      Sydney University together, and we taught each other Syriac) but
      Philip Davies vetted the article, and he seemed to be even more
      conservative than me (and I had come out of the Australian Evangelical
      band of scholars, inspired by D.J. Wiseman and F.F. Bruce [who also
      gave me encouragement, by publishing my first article on the legacy of
      Syriac Christianity] , though I don't fit in that mould now).

      I wonder if he heard of the Qeiyafa ostracon (he being a 'Biblical
      archaeologist'; I have his book of 'illustrations' on that subject).
      Somewhere along the way, I heard someone say, that when a cuneiform
      tablet is found he just reads it straight off!. Well, West Semitic
      proto-alphabetic and
      logo-syllabic inscriptions take me months and years to interpret (but
      I have just thought of another possible line to take with the Qeiyafa
      text, which he might have liked, and I will share it sometime soon).

      Brian Colless.
      Honorary Research Associate.
      Massey U, NZ