sister/wife

  • Gene Greenwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5 12:43 PM
      Greetings Folks,
      I have seen in several Egyptian poems the use of the words "sister" and "brother" in reference to spouse &/or lover. Was this a common practice across the culture? Were there other words used for wife and husband?
      Thank You,
      Gene Greenwood
      Tahoe City, CA
    • R. Lehmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6 7:46 AM
        Not only in Egyptian, but also in Hebrew poems, see, for instance,
        the sister-bride in Canticles 4:9.10.12 and 5:1. Also, in Hebrew, of
        course there are also other words for wife and husband.

        Regards,
        RGLehmann

        Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
        Academic Director
        Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
        FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
        Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
        D-55099 Mainz
        Germany
        lehmann@...
        http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de
        http://www.ev.theologie.uni-mainz.de/297.php

      • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6 12:19 PM
          Jaana Toivari-Viitala has done a fair amount of work on kinship
          terms in her work on the women of Deir el-Medina. According to her
          study, there are several terms that might approximate wife, the two
          most common being:

          hmt (with a dot under the h) is the closest approximation to "wife."
          In Middle Kingdom times it seems to have meant "servant."

          nbt pr = "mistress of the house" and refers more specifically to a
          legal partner who bears legitimate children.

          For that which concerns sn/snt (brother/sister) she notes:
          "Moreover, sn/snt acquired the meanings "husband/wife", as well as
          also becoming terms of endearment perhaps best translated "lover"
          during the 18th Dynasty. Such a use of sn/snt may indicate that the
          conjugal bond and the attachement between lovers was perceived as
          resembling a kin relationship." (pp. 29-30)

          For the life of me I can't find the term for "husband" although I
          vaguely remember (?) it was built on the mt phonemes.

          HTH,
          Stephanie Budin

          Quoting Gene Greenwood <gwoodgeno@...>:

          > Greetings Folks,
          > I have seen in several Egyptian poems the use of the words "sister"
          > and "brother" in reference to spouse &/or lover. Was this a common
          > practice across the culture? Were there other words used for wife
          > and husband?
          > Thank You,
          > Gene Greenwood
          > Tahoe City, CA

          "Maybe we can link up with someone who's meditating and download
          enlightenment!" -Tachikoma