Re: [ANE-2] Semitic names in Greek - Asking for help

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
      Wouldn't the LXX be the best resource for Greek transliteration of Semitic
      names?

      Jack Kilmon

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
        The introduction to A Glossary of Later and Byzantine Greek by E. A.
        Sophocles
        = Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, New Series, Vol. 7
        (1860), 624 pp., especially p. 38 ff. is helpful (contrasting, for example
        Septuagint with Josephus' spellings).

        Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25058192

        Best,

        Michael F. Lane
        Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

        > Wouldn't the LXX be the best resource for Greek transliteration of Semitic
        > names?
        >
        > Jack Kilmon

        Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
        Ancient Studies Department
        Fine Arts Building, Room 452
        1000 Hilltop Circle
        Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
        Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
      • R. Lehmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
          And what would be the best resource to trace Greek writing of
          unambiguously *Phoenician* Names?
          Does anybody know of recent literature on the topic?

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
          Academic Director
          Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
          FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
          Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
          D-55099 Mainz
          Germany