Re: [ANE-2] Semitic names PS

  • Michael F. Lane
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
      (Ditto, as in previous.)

      The LGPN is solely epigraphical.

      -- Michael F. Lane

      > Good morning / evening,
      >
      > I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the
      source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
      > I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such
      cases in epigraphic sources.
      > Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name
      > transliteratin / translation?
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano

      Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
      Ancient Studies Department
      Fine Arts Building, Room 452
      1000 Hilltop Circle
      Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
      Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
        Wouldn't the LXX be the best resource for Greek transliteration of Semitic
        names?

        Jack Kilmon

        > I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the
        > source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
        > I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such
        > cases in epigraphic sources.
        > Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name
        > transliteratin / translation?
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano

      • Michael F. Lane
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
          The introduction to A Glossary of Later and Byzantine Greek by E. A.
          Sophocles
          = Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, New Series, Vol. 7
          (1860), 624 pp., especially p. 38 ff. is helpful (contrasting, for example
          Septuagint with Josephus' spellings).

          Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25058192

          Best,

          Michael F. Lane
          Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

          > Wouldn't the LXX be the best resource for Greek transliteration of Semitic
          > names?
          >
          > Jack Kilmon

        • R. Lehmann
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
            And what would be the best resource to trace Greek writing of
            unambiguously *Phoenician* Names?
            Does anybody know of recent literature on the topic?

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
            Academic Director
            Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
            FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
            Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
            D-55099 Mainz
            Germany