Semitic names in Greek - Asking for help

  • Lukasz
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
      Good morning / evening,

      I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
      I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such cases in epigraphic sources.
      Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name transliteratin / translation?

      Sincerely,

      Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano
    • Petr Tomasek
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
        On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 01:48:20PM -0000, Lukasz wrote:
        > Good morning / evening,
        >
        > I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
        > I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such cases in epigraphic sources.
        > Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name transliteratin / translation?
        >
        > Sincerely,

        I would try:

        A. Murtonen, A. Edward. Hebrew in its West Semitic Setting: a comparative survey of non-masoretic Hebrew dialects and traditions. Part One: A comparative lexicon - Sect. A. Proper Names. Leiden: Brill, 1986 (ISBN: 90-04-07245-4)

        Petr Tomášek

        --
        Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
        Jabber: butrus@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
          The Lexicon of Greek Personal Names (Oxford, Clarendon), published over
          the last 15 years or so, is a good resource, particularly Volume I: The
          Aegean Islands, Cyprus, and Cyrenaica.

          It is searchable on line: www.lgpn.ox.ac.uk.

          E.g. search for names reflecting 3-b-d "servant (of)":

          go to www.lgpn.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/lex3.pl

          and enter (case-sensitive) "Abd."

          This returns "Abdimilkos" and "Abdubalos" (fairly lexically transparent)
          among others. There are other search options and, of course, all four
          printed volumes to peruse.

          Best,

          Michael F. Lane

          > Good morning / evening,
          >
          > I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the
          > source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
          > I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such
          > cases in epigraphic sources.
          > Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name
          > transliteratin / translation?
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano

          Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
          Ancient Studies Department
          Fine Arts Building, Room 452
          1000 Hilltop Circle
          Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
          Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
        • Michael F. Lane
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
            The LGPN is solely epigraphical.

            -- MFL

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
              (Oops, sorry! Forgot the signature rule.)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
                (Ditto, as in previous.)

                The LGPN is solely epigraphical.

                -- Michael F. Lane

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
                  No, you did not. Look at the bottom of your mail. Here is everything.

                  Niels Peter Lemche

                  (Oops, sorry! Forgot the signature rule.)

                  The Lexicon of Greek Personal Names (Oxford, Clarendon), published over
                  the last 15 years or so, is a good resource, particularly Volume I: The
                  Aegean Islands, Cyprus, and Cyrenaica.

                  It is searchable on line: www.lgpn.ox.ac.uk.

                  E.g. search for names reflecting 3-b-d "servant (of)":

                  go to www.lgpn.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/lex3.pl

                  and enter (case-sensitive) "Abd."

                  This returns "Abdimilkos" and "Abdubalos" (fairly lexically transparent)
                  among others. There are other search options and, of course, all four
                  printed volumes to peruse.

                  Best,

                  Michael F. Lane
                  >>UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE COUNTY

                  > Good morning / evening,
                  >
                  > I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the
                  source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
                  > I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such
                  cases in epigraphic sources.
                  > Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name
                  > transliteratin / translation?
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano

                  Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
                  Ancient Studies Department
                  Fine Arts Building, Room 452
                  1000 Hilltop Circle
                  Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
                  Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660

                  --
                  Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
                  Ancient Studies Department
                  Fine Arts Building, Room 452
                  1000 Hilltop Circle
                  Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
                  Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660

                • Ronald Wallenfels, Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
                    For Akkadian names in Greek note the new dissertation by Julien Monerie,
                    D'Alexandre à Zôilos: Dictionnaire prosopographique des porteurs de nom
                    grec dans les sources cunéiformes (2007/2008), written under the
                    supervision of F. Joannès.

                    Ron Wallenfels
                    Fair Haven, NJ

                    Michael F. Lane wrote:
                    > The LGPN is solely epigraphical.
                    >
                    > -- MFL
                    >

                    >> Good morning / evening,
                    >>
                    >> I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the
                    >> source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
                    >> I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such
                    >> cases in epigraphic sources.
                    >> Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name
                    >> transliteratin / translation?
                    >>
                    >> Sincerely,
                    >>
                    >> Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano

                  • Jack Kilmon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
                      Wouldn't the LXX be the best resource for Greek transliteration of Semitic
                      names?

                      Jack Kilmon

                      > I would be grateful for help in searching for the contributions and the
                      > source cases where the Semitic names were rendered in Greek.
                      > I have few cases in Greek literature, and looking especially for such
                      > cases in epigraphic sources.
                      > Does anyone know of any particular paper dealing with this name
                      > transliteratin / translation?
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > Lukasz Niesiolowski-Spano

                    • Michael F. Lane
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
                        The introduction to A Glossary of Later and Byzantine Greek by E. A.
                        Sophocles
                        = Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, New Series, Vol. 7
                        (1860), 624 pp., especially p. 38 ff. is helpful (contrasting, for example
                        Septuagint with Josephus' spellings).

                        Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25058192

                        Best,

                        Michael F. Lane
                        Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

                        > Wouldn't the LXX be the best resource for Greek transliteration of Semitic
                        > names?
                        >
                        > Jack Kilmon

                      • R. Lehmann
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
                          And what would be the best resource to trace Greek writing of
                          unambiguously *Phoenician* Names?
                          Does anybody know of recent literature on the topic?

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
                          Academic Director
                          Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
                          FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
                          Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
                          D-55099 Mainz
                          Germany