Re: SV: [ANE-2] Re: University of Haifa: Most ancient Hebrew biblical inscription deciphered

  • Peter van der Veen
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 8, 2010
      Dear Niels Peter,

      Many thanks for that. I was unaware of this article. Thanks for sending this link. It will be worthwhile studying these photos but in general it is necessary to have very high resolution images in order to check the details. And as a matter fact even then it cannot be done without finally checking the original inscriptions under special lighting and magnification. At least this is what I do when studying seals and bullae.

      Best
      Peter van der Veen

      -------- Original-Nachricht --------
      > Datum: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:34:24 +0100
      > Von: "Niels Peter Lemche" <npl@...>
      > An: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      > Betreff: SV: [ANE-2] Re: University of Haifa: Most ancient Hebrew biblical inscription deciphered

      > Relating to all of this: any comments on these fotos, found here?
      > http://www.palarch.nl/wp-content/bearman_g_wa_christens_barry_spectral_i
      > maging_of_ostraca_palarchs_journal_of_archaeology_of_egypt_egyptology_6_
      > 7_2009.pdf If they can be trusted, they should give an impression of
      > this inscription.
      >
      > Niels Peter Lemche
    • Michael Brass
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 15 3:30 AM
        > 1.1. Reflections on the EES Excavations at Amarna
        >    Posted by: "Brian" r.brianroberts@... r.brianroberts
        >    Date: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 am ((PDT))
        >
        > I quite accidentally discovered a set of short videos on Youtube comprised of film shot during the 1930-1933 seasons at Amarna, under the Directorship of John Pendlebury. The first thing that occurred to me was how ahead of his time he was to realize the power of the moving image to enthrall the public back home! And secondly, it may be the first multimedia excavation ever (in their case, printed report and film).
        >
        > Does anyone on the list know if that's true?

        There are short film clips of Sir Henry Wellcome's 1911-14 excavations
        at the famous site Jebel Moya, south-central Sudan, which I am
        re-examining. The clips are available on the Wellcome Trust's website.

        Regards,
        Mike Brass
        University College London