Re: SV: [ANE-2] on denying diversity

  • victor avigdor hurowitz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
      I won't deny posssibility, but would you really prefer associating the
      Yahuists of Yeb with the Shasu? And how do you explain a sudden
      appearance of Yahu names in Mesopotamia in post-Iron Age contexts? I
      prefer to go with what is most likely. I
      prefer putting puzzles together to taking them apart even when the pieces
      fit nicely.
      Victor
      BGU

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
        Dear Victor,

        There have been such people who wanted to associate the shasu with Yahwist etc, and thus seeing them as the original "Jews."

        I suppose the problem is really that starting from the present Pentateuch people have a fixed idea about Judaism, forgetting that such a term is maybe just as misleading as "Christianity;" as if there ever was such a thing like Christian unity, one form of Christianity. And when speaking of temples, wasn't it so that a high priest in the days of the Maccabees who were thrown out of office went into exile in Egypt and there built his own temple? Maybe he had the same idea as many people later on: Jerusalem is in my heart, so where I am, you (I) have Jerusalem!

        It would be meaningless to demand that the Elephantine community was "Jewish" in any orthodox sense since orthodoxy in their days may be quite different from what a later Rabbinic Judaism saw as "orthodox."

        And it also boils down to the acceptance that every living society will always house a plurality of opinions, not least religious ones. So even if this Torah-based Judaism existed in the Persian Period, we have no reason to believe that it was the only version around.

        When dealing with the Elephantines, it would perhaps be more rewarding to discuss their relations with Judea in the Persian Period. The "heterodoxy" versus the address to Jerusalem in connection with the destroyed temple. Here might be a lot of interest for the study of the origins of Judaism, as it turned out to be much later. How did it in its many forms come from Alpha -- the "original expressions of Yahwism -- to Omega -- the Rabbinic orthodoxy (or wish to control what was allowed to be Judaism).

        As to puzzles, Tom, when he came to Denmark nearly twenty years ago, changed to lego-bloks. These you can put together nicely in many different ways. I suppose that historical studies is more like this kind of occupation, as historical puzzles nearly always are short of many bricks.

        Niels Peter Lemche

        I won't deny posssibility, but would you really prefer associating the
        Yahuists of Yeb with the Shasu? And how do you explain a sudden
        appearance of Yahu names in Mesopotamia in post-Iron Age contexts? I
        prefer to go with what is most likely. I
        prefer putting puzzles together to taking them apart even when the pieces
        fit nicely.
        Victor
        BGU

        On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:

        > Dear Victor,
        > Of course, the Yahu of the Shasw is somewhat uncertain. Nevertheless, there seems to have been a Yahu not only in Samaria but also in Teman and there was, I believe, a Yaubidi at Hamat. There are also a considerable number of Yahu names in Mesopotamia in post-Iron Age contexts. Arguments of convenience, of course, should have no trouble associating them with either Jews or Samaritans, but why deny possibilities of greater diversity?
        > Cheers, Thomas
        >
        > Thomas L. Thompson
        > Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen
        >
        > ________________________________

      • victor avigdor hurowitz
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
          Dear Niels,
          Although I tyr to be an observant Jew, I have no delusions about Judaism
          being
          monolithic, and accept fully that it is diverse, and that it has been
          diverse for quite a long time even though there are from time to time
          centers of authority, orthodoxy, etc. which try to institute diversity by
          making one view authoritative in contrast to others, and who
          interpret Scripture and the past as if it has always been their way. But
          lets face it,
          even the Rabbinates would not say that Karaites were not Jews and
          Pharisees would not say the Saducees were not Jews. And the prophets who
          ranted against idolatry did not deny that the idolators and Baal
          worshipers were not Judeans or Israelites or even members of some
          covenant community. They were just law breakers, and were they not
          affiliated as they were there would be nothing wrong with their doings. So
          why should
          I say that the people of Elephantine were not Jews? Just because their
          observance was different than what ever may have been in Jerusalem? Or
          because their temple flew in the face of Deuteronomy? Judaism was diverse,
          and I accept that fully, and precisely because of that I have no problem
          calling the Yahuist Judeans of Elephantine Jews. So what if they
          intermarried? Nehemiah may not have liked them, but he probably
          wouldn't like Ruth either, and why should that bother
          you? If you want diverse Judaisms compare Daniel and Esther. Daniel is a
          vegetarian and refuses the royal fare (why? the text doesn't say
          explicitly but it makes no allusion to Torah), while Esther seems to have
          no
          qualms about receiving her daily food portions, and I doubt that Ahasuerus
          kept sepearate dishes and holov Yisroel in his fridge. That the Rabbis
          made her frum is their problem; the
          author of the Megillah seems not to have been bothered by it. So why
          should it bother you? Haman knows that the laws of the Jews are different
          than those of the other peoples in the Empire, but that doesn't mean they
          were living according to the Shulhan Arukh, nor does it mean that Esther
          observed them, for had she observed them she'd have blown her cover and we
          wouldn't ahve a megillah to begin with. So stop being an Orthodox
          Rabbi and learn from the Bible itself-
          call it literary or historical as you wish- that Judaism was not
          Yiddishkeit, and now that you've heard my opinion stop reacting to me as
          if I'm representing something else.
          Victor Hurowitz
          BGU

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
            Dear Victor,

            are we in disagreement her? My point was that if people begin defining Jews following the HB only, they end up with a very monolithic and unhistorical image of Judaism.

            And the warning against judging the Elephantines using biblical standards is ok to me. After all, I was brought up with Barth's definition of ethnicity, that are the person you think you are and other people think you are.

            Niels Peter lemche

> [...]

            > When dealing with the Elephantines, it would perhaps be more rewarding to discuss their relations with Judea in the Persian Period. The "heterodoxy" versus the address to Jerusalem in connection with the destroyed temple. Here might be a lot of interest for the study of the origins of Judaism, as it turned out to be much later. How did it in its many forms come from Alpha -- the "original expressions of Yahwism -- to Omega -- the Rabbinic orthodoxy (or wish to control what was allowed to be Judaism).
            >
            > As to puzzles, Tom, when he came to Denmark nearly twenty years ago, changed to lego-bloks. These you can put together nicely in many different ways. I suppose that historical studies is more like this kind of occupation, as historical puzzles nearly always are short of many bricks.

          • aren
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
              NPL,
              I see no problem "defining jews" (or some aspects of early Judaism) according to the HB - it is clear from the HB that there were many currents in Israelite/Judahite religion, both during and after the Iron Age. Just as there were various currents throughout history (in fact to this very day...).

              Aren

              --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Niels Peter Lemche" <npl@...> wrote:

              > Dear Victor,
              >
              > are we in disagreement her? My point was that if people begin defining Jews following the HB only, they end up with a very monolithic and unhistorical image of Judaism.
              >
              > And the warning against judging the Elephantines using biblical standards is ok to me. After all, I was brought up with Barth's definition of ethnicity, that are the person you think you are and other people think you are.
              >
              > Niels Peter lemche

            • victor avigdor hurowitz
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                Dear Niels Peter,
                I don't know how much we are in disagreement, but I am certainly in
                disagreement with what you write here and quite astonished that you say
                it. Since when is HN monolithic? What has Biblical scholarship been about
                since Astruc if not its literary complexity and composite nature? It's
                complexity has been the bane of its readers from the "redactors" who tried
                to put divergent literary "stuff" into a coherent whole all the way down
                today when harmonist readers looking for the unified word of God try to
                explain away all its contradictions. AS I said, we have a diverse sea
                which from time time "authorities" try to unify by introducing
                "orthodoxy". That's Judaism and it begins in the Bible! Personally, I live
                by the unifiers but do my scholarship by the diversifiers, and I don't
                think I"m the only one.

              • Brian Colless
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
                  I am interested to see Robert Feather mentioning my Hebrew teacher E C
                  B Maclaurin (Sydney University 1959, and I had Rabbi Israel Porush for
                  Mishnaic Hebrew), and also the Shasu (see below).

                  Thomas Thompson says :"theYahu of the Shasw is somewhat uncertain"

                  Well now, among the epigraphical materials that people are feeding to
                  me these days are the graffiti from Har Karkom (the True Mount Horeb/
                  Sinai):

                  - at least two stones have proto-alphabetic YH (arm, jubilater) [ --
                  < >-E ], Late Bronze Age
                  - one rock has ' l ('alep lamed, ox crook) next to Sh S (sun, fish)
                  "El of the Shasu"

                  When I feel a bit more confident about this set, I will put them all
                  on my cryptcracker site.

                  One of them seems to be a sign for a dried up spring, and looking
                  again at the Timnah inscription reported here around the 27th of
                  August 2009, in two linked cartouches, it has just occurred to me:
                  the Eye could represent `ayin 'spring' (as a rebus) as in three of
                  the Sinai inscriptions;
                  M M R could say "water of bitterness" (R a head, not the illusion of a
                  seated man);
                  L Dh K would be: " Not (L) pure (DhK)"

                  The sun-serpent with sun disc says Sh or ShMSh 'sun'
                  If the three lines could be the spinal column (the alternative Samek,
                  which eventually displaced the fish), we have ShS (Shasu).

                  http://www.stonewatch.de/Daten/Timna-1.jpg

                  It's all guesswork, you know, even when we can recognize all the signs.

                  It could be Dh L K (This is for you) K L Dh (All this)
                  The signs = ( [ ] (Dh Hh) house with round courtyard, H.asir, suggest
                  Hh M M R "This spring is hot and bitter" (feminine -t would be
                  expected if these are adjectives).

                  But I do cryptic and codecracker crossword puzzles to get my brain
                  hopping around and primed up for these real-life puzzles.

                  Brian Colless

                  Massey University, NZ

                • MarcC
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
                    --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Niels Peter Lemche" <npl@...> wrote:

                    > After all, I was brought up with Barth's definition of ethnicity, that are the person you think you are and other people think you are.
                    >
                    > Niels Peter lemche

                    That's one definition, and it's probably one that historical idealists would have liked. The problem for the historian is that it suggests that to know someone's ethnicity we would have to rethink their thoughts. Since this conversation began with Hezekiah's ethnicity, it seems to me that this definition is inappropriate in the sense that we can't begin to reconstruct his ideology. Worse, it provides authority to others, in this case, Sennacherib or his publicists, to make the judgment. And that allows, in turn, Oppenheim's position, which you don't like!

                    In the U.S., the Census Bureau equates ethnicity with country of origin and religion. Most scholars find this definition wanting, but most people faced with the question of their own ethnicity answer by stating their country of origin. Again, the common definition favors Oppenheim.

                    Here are some other definitions which social scientists prefer:
                    Clifford Geertz: "the longing not to belong to any other group."
                    Max Weber: "groups that entertain a subjective belief in their common descent."

                    Marc Cooper
                    Missouri State
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                      Dear Marc,

                      OK to everything, only that the modern discussion about ethnicity really started with Barth's introduction to Ethnic Groups and Boundaries (Oslo 1969). I think -- from memory -- that Barth calls ethnicity a way of organizing cultural difference.

                      The specialized discussion has mainly been between social anthropologists and sociologists.

                      Niels Peter Lemche

                      who was born in a country where everybody believes that he/she is a Dane, with a pedigree going back to -- well, King Skjold.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                        And I have just redd that the people of Denmark are the happiest
                        people on Earth, and that must be why.

                        On 6/01/2010, at 9:35 PM, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                        > Niels Peter Lemche
                        >
                        > who was born in a country where everybody believes that he/she is a
                        > Dane, with a pedigree going back to -- well, King Skjold.

                        PS
                        Nietzsche was born in 1844, the year that the Christ was to return
                        (known as the Great Disappointment, and I used to offer a course on
                        Recent Religions in which I collected all the new religions that
                        started in 1844 (Taiping in China, Bahai in Iran, etc), but I
                        overlooked Nietzsche and his gospel of the death of God.

                        At Sydney University, one of my venerable German teachers (a noble
                        baron) had met Nietzsche, he told us, so I have a personal connection.

                        Still, we have to keep asking the question: who or what makes the
                        world (and the atoms) go round? The universe is alive and existent, a
                        living being, and I want to have a personal relationship of love with
                        it.

                        Brian

                      • Miller, Robert
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                          I agree with Chris Weimer's point. The problem with many definitions of ethnicity is that they view the question socially. Even a piece like Nils Anfinset, "Passion for Cultural Difference: Archaeology and Ethnicity of the Southern Levant," Norwegian Archaeological Review 36 (2003) -- which I otherwise highly recommend -- treats ethnicity as a social phenomenon. Syro-Pal. archaeology has almost always done so.

                          William Sewell's "Concept(s) of Culture," in Beyond the Cultural Turn, ed. Victoria E. Bonnell and Lynn Hunt (1999) tried to move the discussion of ethnicity away from strictly social definitions towards cultural ideas, as well. The "archaeological correlates" of ethnicity have traditionally been homogeneity, whether of building style or pottery or whatever. Sewell says this may be misguided: shared "style" need not correlate with group identity (although it might). He writes, "It simply requires that if meaning is to exist at all, there must be systematic relations among signs and a group of people who recognize those relations."

                          Bob Miller
                          Catholic University of America

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                            I deleted that post because I misread someone's post of Barth. It didn't sound right as I was writing it, but I do know some others have said such a notion.

                            Chris Weimer