Re: [ANE-2] Qeyafa Inscription Revisited

  • Brian Colless
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2010
      http://cryptcracker.blogspot.com/2010/01/qeiyafa-ostracon-inscription-this-large.html
      .

      On 3/01/2010, at 9:20 PM, zmbq wrote:

      > Brian Colless just posted his attempt to decipher the Qeyafa
      > inscription. It can be found here: http://cryptcracker.blogspot.com/2010/01/qeiyafa-ostracon-inscription-this-large.html
      > .
      >
      > Itay Zandbank
      > Israel

      Good spotting! I am grateful to you for announcing this.

      I am still fiddling with it at this very moment. That is the good
      thing about publishing through a medium which allows the author to
      correct any mistakes or change details immediately.

      I have spent the Christmas season letting this text take over my
      brain. When the ostracon was shown to Frank Cross he had two sleepless
      nights, as reported in the chronicle:

      http://qeiyafa.huji.ac.il/ostracon.asp

      I would like to know whether he came up with a reading and an
      interpretation of the inscription.

      Can anyone with connections now get the Izbet Sartah and Beth Shemesh
      ostraca "spectrally imaged" (or whatever).

      On the 25th of December 2009 I received this from Jack Sasson's AGADE:

      ___________
      Just published today, a final excavation report for the 2007-2008
      excavation seasons at Khirbet Qeiyafa (including the ostracon). A
      digital printing of 100 copies.

      Khirbet Qeiyafa Vol. 1. Excavation Report 2007�2008
      Yosef Garfinkel and Saar Ganor
      XX + 304 pages, 21 x 31 cm, c. 350 illustrations, 94 pages with color
      photos
      ISBN 978-965-221-077-7
      $72 ($54 to members of the Israel Exploration Society), airmail
      postage $13
      Orders: Israel Exploration Society, E-mail: ies@...
      ___________

      This spurred me to make an assault on both gates of the fortress of
      Sha`arayim (Qeiyafa), and what I have discovered is an oracle
      regarding a prophet ('servant of God') named M$ (Moshe, Moses?).

      Ambiguity abounds in texts like this, and I still need a perfect
      picture of the inscription to see whther my identifications of various
      signs can be verified or falsified.

      Another posting will follow this, giving a summary (transcription and
      translation).

      You have seen that I also put my study of the Wadi el-Hol inscription
      on my newly formatted cryptcracker site.

      I will now return to writing up articles on some West Semitic syllabic
      inscriptions (one on a seal from southern Canaan, another on a bronze
      beaker dug up in the bush in Jamaica)

      Brian Collless,
      Massey University, Aotearoa New Zealand