SV: [ANE-2] 7th century Judaism or YHWHism

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
      When this list was planned the moderators decided that biblical
      historicity should not be discussed. Yet it continues to pop up. The two
      mails by Hall and Kilmon say very much why, both belonging to a
      tradition of biblical scholarship popular a generation ago. And this has
      nothing to do with Doug Petrovich extremely conservative approach, which
      has little with critical scholarfship in any form to do, and will not be
      discussed here.

      One sign of this is the rather unreflected use of comparisons between
      biblical data and extra-biblical data (PS: "biblical in this connection
      nearly always means "Hebrew Bible", and not the Bible in a Christian
      sense, and definitely not the Greek Bible, alias the Septuagint with its
      much wider and more open collection of books. Somehow the Rabbis won,
      and their selection became the Canon also of Western Christianity, and
      in our eurocentralistic approach, this must be the only one! A Mistake
      Luther made).

      Now to these two recent mails:

      David Hall's first paragraph includes two assertions:

      1: That Hezekiah's reform is a historical one. He forgets to present
      authorities, so it remains not only an assertion but also an assertion
      without reference.

      2: The alleged migration from the North to the south after the Fall of
      Samaria. This is an old assertion by Albrecht Alt, some 60 years old,
      and recently borrowed by Israel Finkelstein. It remains an assertion, as
      nothing really speaks in favor of it, apart from the growth of Jerusalem
      around 700 BCE, a development more likely to have its background in the
      vasteland of Palestine left by Sennacherib. Jerusalem was the only city
      with a protecting wall left in Hezekiah's kingdom, and especially the
      fall of Lachish must have presented problems of housing. It should be
      noted that not even the Bible has a word to say about such a migration.
      Something to speculate about if biblical evidence is not only chosen at
      random to support ones own ideas.

      His second paragraph is no better:
      1: It is supposed ... by whom? Hoseah is according to biblical
      chronology and narrative placed in the reign of Jeroboam II of Israel,
      but the book bearing his name is heavily redacted. It is the assertion
      of this biblical book that it has to do with circumstances belonging to
      the 8th century BCE. However, it is sloppy scholarship that takes such a
      source at face value.

      2: the last sentence is correct: The author of the book stated ... but
      when did he do so? and which author. More than one hand may have been
      active.

      The paragraph about Arad may be correct, when it comes to the discovery
      of the altars, but again he should provide links and references.

      The concluding paragraph is sheer speculation.

      His mail was in answer of Jack Kilmon's previous one:

      First paragraph:

      1: The Hebrew Bible says that a kind of centralization took place in the
      days of the Judean king Hezekiah. Although he did not -- according to 2
      Kings -- go far enough. Josiah did better than him (but cf. the
      corrections in Chronicles). This is an old assumption not really
      supported by extra-biblical evidence. But somehow people should read
      their Bible more carefully, as it also states that Josiah's reform was a
      failure, and that his successors took up the evil habits of their
      forefathers. Ezra is a totally obscure person, except in tradition (the
      genealogy presented would have made him a very old chap when he arrived
      in Jerusalem, and he at least had nothing to do with rebuilding
      activities). The building of Haggai's temple may have happened, although
      now severely disputed by modern scholars like Diana Edelman who places
      it much later, in the 5th century. The missing indications of a
      resettlement of Jerusalem before the late 5th or even early 4th century
      BCE also speaks again the assertion made by the Bible that it happened
      in 516 BCE. So to place Ezra in tghe line of centralization is
      speculation.

      2: The idea of the Exodus story and its relations to Jerusalem is
      another example of pure speculation. Jack should not be blamed too much,
      as this was no more than many people were asserting when he was young.
      The members of that generation of scholars -- including the venerable
      names of Albrecht Alt and Martin Noth -- have by later colleagues been
      termed "die grossen Hypothesenmacher".

      Then in the second paragraph we find a number of old ideas -- or
      assertions.

      1: Canaan as a term for Palestine in the 1st millennium. When we in this
      millennium find extra-biblical references, they say "Phoenicia". Jack's
      introducing biblical geography as if it was historical geography.

      2: the Dating of the Exodus narrative to the 8th century BCE: Au courant
      with the opinion of critical scholars 40 to 50 years ago. It is
      generally not accepted anymore, and for many reasons. Pentateucal
      studies has made many steps forward since those days, since the Toronto
      lectures of Winnett, the teacher of Van Seters. So if people want to
      understand what has happened, a brush up would be recommendable. A
      rather traditional -- in the modern sense -- survey which nevertheless
      includes much of interest as to these changes was published a couple of
      years ago by Ska. We have witnessed from morately conservative Israeli
      scholars an endeavour to defend old dates, especially of the Priestly
      writer and based on language. This discussion hasd entered a new phase
      with the publication of a number of studies tearing away this
      foundation, by Knauf, Rezetko, Young and more.

      When this list opened, it was a demand that the discussion should be
      based on facts. Readers may want to ask for facts embedded in this new
      discussion, and when the moderators sometimes are very reluctant to
      accept mails about biblical topics, they may understand that it was
      normal in biblical studies to exchange (non-existing) facts with
      assertions.

      They may also understand that some of the so-called left wing biblical
      scholars (normally a term found in American studies -- traditionally
      European scholarship has been called so, such as the aforementioned Alt
      and Noth by members of the [William Foxwell] Albright guild, who
      considered them to be "nihilists" and worse) are not really interested
      in this discussion about historicity. We prefer today to discuss
      authors' intents and the memories embedded in their writings. There are
      also theological reasons for this but this definitely does not belong
      here. I have done my part of this (so far) in my recent book, The Old
      Testament between Theology and History from 2008.

      Niels Peter Lemche
    • Henrik Rasmussen
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
        Is it correct to refer to the Israelites as Jews, prior to the Babylonian
        exile?

        Rik Rasmussen

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
          It is an anachronism, before the Hellenistic Age. It is a left-over from the days when the biblical history of Israel's past as the twelve tribes migrating the desert, storming the land of Canaan, and settling there as a nation of twelve tribes was still au courant.

          When Sennacherib refers to Hezekiah, it is a the "Judean", often translated the "Jew", but hardly meaning more than "the man from (the landscape/state) of Judah.

          Niels Peter Lemche

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
            No less a giant than A. Leo Oppenheim was one of those who
            translated the passage you
            refer to from Sennacherib's annals as "Hezeqiah the Jew". Oppenheim was
            not known for an affinity to biblification and even then I'm sure he had
            some sense of the developing nuances of words (he had something to do with
            the CAD). It would be interesting to hear why he translated Jew rather
            than Judean.
            Victor Hurowitz
            BGU

            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
              It was quite normal at that time. I have in Danish a translation by Mogens Trolle Larsen, that even stresses the meaning of "Jew". Mogens is hardly more impressed by biblicism than Oppenheimer was. It had to do with the general situation in those days.

              Niels Peter Lemche

              No less a giant than A. Leo Oppenheim was one of those who
              translated the passage you
              refer to from Sennacherib's annals as "Hezeqiah the Jew". Oppenheim was
              not known for an affinity to biblification and even then I'm sure he had
              some sense of the developing nuances of words (he had something to do with
              the CAD). It would be interesting to hear why he translated Jew rather
              than Judean.
              Victor Hurowitz
              BGU

              On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

              > It is an anachronism, before the Hellenistic Age. It is a left-over from the days when the biblical history of Israel's past as the twelve tribes migrating the desert, storming the land of Canaan, and settling there as a nation of twelve tribes was still au courant.
              >
              > When Sennacherib refers to Hezekiah, it is a the "Judean", often translated the "Jew", but hardly meaning more than "the man from (the landscape/state) of Judah.
              >
              > Niels Peter Lemche

            • Henrik Rasmussen
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                Niels, when you say "that time", and "those days", are you speaking of the
                Sennacherib period, or the period of these scholars?

                Rik Rasmussen

                On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Niels Peter Lemche <npl@...> wrote:

                > It was quite normal at that time. I have in Danish a translation by Mogens
                > Trolle Larsen, that even stresses the meaning of "Jew". Mogens is hardly
                > more impressed by biblicism than Oppenheimer was. It had to do with the
                > general situation in those days.
                >

                > Niels Peter Lemche

              • victor avigdor hurowitz
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                  Oppenheimer? I didn't know he was interested in ANE. Didn't he help invent
                  the bomb?
                  Victor Hurowitz
                  BGU

                  On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                  > It was quite normal at that time. I have in Danish a translation by Mogens Trolle Larsen, that even stresses the meaning of "Jew". Mogens is hardly more impressed by biblicism than Oppenheimer was. It had to do with the general situation in those days.
                  >
                  > Niels Peter Lemche

                • whiting35
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                    Oppenheim, Oppenheimer, Iceberg -- it's all the same.

                    Bob Whiting
                    whiting@...

                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                      sorry, silly, but there was in fact an Oppenheimer, Max Freiherr von, with hus huge work on beduins.

                      Niels Peter Lemche

                      Oppenheimer? I didn't know he was interested in ANE. Didn't he help invent
                      the bomb?
                      Victor Hurowitz
                      BGU

                      On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                      > It was quite normal at that time. I have in Danish a translation by Mogens Trolle Larsen, that even stresses the meaning of "Jew". Mogens is hardly more impressed by biblicism than Oppenheimer was. It had to do with the general situation in those days.
                      >
                      > Niels Peter Lemche

                    • Robert M Whiting
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                        Nope -- that's Oppenheim too.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_von_Oppenheim

                        Stop digging, NP.

                        Bob Whiting
                        whiting@...

                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                          OK, his days, Trolle's ... ours, as I also belonged there.

                          Niels Peter Lemche

                          Niels, when you say "that time", and "those days", are you speaking of the
                          Sennacherib period, or the period of these scholars?

                          Rik Rasmussen

                          On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Niels Peter Lemche <npl@...> wrote:

                          > It was quite normal at that time. I have in Danish a translation by Mogens
                          > Trolle Larsen, that even stresses the meaning of "Jew". Mogens is hardly
                          > more impressed by biblicism than Oppenheimer was. It had to do with the
                          > general situation in those days.
                          >

                          > Niels Peter Lemche

                        • Raz Kletter
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                            Dear David,
                            I am not sure how the various matters you mention are connected to the issue
                            of Judaism/Yahwism in the 7th century.
                            As for the debate about the abolishment of cult at Arad and Tel Beer Sheba,
                            the latest addition is by Zeev Herzog in *Eretz Israel* vol. 29 (Stern Book;
                            Hebrew, English abstract). Herzog dates the abolishment to Hezekiah's days,
                            not the 7th century.
                            Raz Kletter

                            2009/12/29 David Hall <dqhall59@...>

                            > The finding of the an ashlar limestone horned altar with the stones reused
                            > in a later structure at Tel Beersheva (Beersheba) has been interpreted by
                            > some as evidence for a theory of Hezekiah's people trying to centralize
                            > worship in Jerusalem. With the fall of Samaria during the eighth century
                            > reign of Tiglath Pileser III there may have been a migration of Israelites
                            > to the south as there was a noticed increase in the size of Jerusalem during
                            > these times.
                            >
                            > It is supposed that Hosea testified against the worship of the
                            > calf at Samaria during the time of Jerobaom II. Hosea testified against the
                            > many altars in the land as the Lord desired mercy and not sacrifice (Hos.
                            > 6:6). It was righteousness that was desired; not killing, adultery, and
                            > prostitution. The author of the book stated the sins of Israel were cause
                            > of its coming downfall.
                            >
                            > At Arad the 5 cubit by 5 cubit altar of unhewn stones was covered over with
                            > dirt and the two incense altars were laid aside a wall of the sanctuary
                            > there. This too has been interpreted by some as evidence for the
                            > abandonment of satellite sanctuaries and high places as imposed by the
                            > priestly class in Jerusalem before the exile.
                            >
                            > Repeated attempts to reform the Jerusalem cultic practice may have been
                            > hindered by calls for maintaining the status quo and Jewish unity.
                            >
                            > David Q. Hall
                            > Falls Church, Virginia

                            Raz Kletter
                            Varsaallika 6a Tallinn 12013 Estonia

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                              ok even sillier

                              Noels Peter Lemche

                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                Are you sure about the Freiherr's name?

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                  yes, with recent corrections

                                  Niels Peter Lemche

                                  >sorry, silly, but there was in fact an Oppenheimer, Max Freiherr von, with hus huge work on beduins.
                                  >
                                  >Niels Peter Lemche

                                • victor avigdor hurowitz
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                    I would think that for purposes of ANE you would first associate Max
                                    Freiherr von Oppenheim with Tell Halaf.

                                  • Lisbeth S. Fried
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                      What is an anachronism???

                                      I really don’t get this. Jew is an English word. Let’s forget it, banish it,
                                      it’s not worth discussing, it’s meaningless in the context of the ANE.

                                      Now, the Hebrew Bible has Yehudim. This word appears in Kings and in
                                      Ezra-Nehemiah (and elsewhere).

                                      Whenever it’s in a pre-exilic context it’s always translated as Judeans,
                                      but when in a post-exilic context it’s always translated as Jews! The same
                                      word!

                                      That is what is anachronistic, translating the same word in two different
                                      ways, imposing 20th century ideology on ancient texts.

                                      Liz Fried

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                        Hezekiah was supposed to have lived in the 8th and 7th centuries.  I could not pinpoint the time of his supposed reforms.  The taking down of these altars has been stated as from the time of Hezekiah.  We should not assume the altars were not taken down during the time of Hezekiah, nor that all Bible verses are anachronistic or false.

                                        As for the historicity of Hosea or when the book was written is subject to opinion.  Was there a real Hosea and some of his words survived; or was he some sort of mythological character like Moses?  Hosea recorded a policy opinion about the altars and high places.  There are archaeological records of altars being taken down.  During the first century the altar at Jerusalem was lit 365 days a year until the Roman conquest c. 70.  The words of the prophet in the name of one desiring, "mercy and not sacrifice, " were not heeded in Jerusalem until the Romans took down the temple in Jerusalem.

                                        David Q. Hall
                                        Falls Church, Virginia

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                          David,

                                          you do not seem to have grasped my point. Hezekiah is conformed by Sennacherib in his annals. Why put faith in them? Because they was written almost "on the spot". So Hezekiah is no problem. The problem consists of the stories that go with Hezekiah.

                                          It is not an argument to say that the historicity of Hosea is subject to opinion. Everything is, including global heating. Scholarship consists of debates between scholars who do not agree. I am so much of a Hegelian that I believe that we need two different opinions to get any further. However, de debate must follow rules which both parts agree on. Otherwise it is an empty example of rhetoric.

                                          Niels Peter Lemche

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                            David,

                                            You write: "The taking down of these altars has been stated as from the
                                            time of Hezekiah. We should not assume the altars were not taken down during
                                            the time of Hezekiah, nor that all Bible verses are anachronistic or
                                            false."

                                            First, altars were taken down under many Jewish kings, but only the ones
                                            potentially datable to Hezekiah or Josiah usually enter the argument. See
                                            N. Na'aman, "The Debated Historicity of Hezekiah's Reform in the Light of
                                            Historical and Archaeological Evidence," ZAW 107 (1995) 179-95.

                                            Second, I believe you are under-reporting the violent destructions of the
                                            biblical reforms. According to 2 Kgs 18.4-5, "He [Hezekiah] removed the high
                                            places, broke down the pillars and cut down the sacred pole. He broke in
                                            pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made..." Even more detailed is the
                                            account of Josiah's reforms at 2 Kgs 23.4-20 (too extensive to quote in
                                            full). Josiah reportedly burned the vessels of Baal and Asherah in the fields
                                            of Kidron (23.4), took the image of Asherah and "burned it at the Wadi
                                            Kidron, beat it to dust and threw the dust of it upon the graves of the common
                                            people" (23.6), "broke down the houses" of temple personnel (23.7), defiled
                                            and broke down the high places at the gates of all the cities (22.8),
                                            "pulled down [roof altars] and broke in pieces, and threw the rubble into the
                                            Wadi Kidron" (22.10), "broke the pillars in pieces, cut down the sacred
                                            poles, and covered the sites with human bones" (23.14), defiled altars by
                                            burning human bones on them (23.16), slaughtered all the priests of the high
                                            places and burned their bones on the altars (23.20).

                                            None of these destructive acts correspond to the carefully dismantled and
                                            stored altars at the archaeological sites you mention. Back in the heyday
                                            of biblical archaeology, archaeologists expected to see signs of
                                            devastation, altars broken to rubble, human bones and the like, throughout sites in
                                            Samaria and Judah in the time of Hezekiah and Josiah. Because none of this
                                            was found, the biblical reforms have been tamely described since then in
                                            very modest language by those seeking a correlation with archaeological
                                            findings, but I don't believe this does justice to either the archaeological
                                            evidence or the biblical text.

                                            Best regards,
                                            Russell Gmirkin

                                          • William D. Tallman
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                              On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 02:42:37PM +0100, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
                                              > It is an anachronism, before the Hellenistic Age. It is a left-over
                                              > from the days when the biblical history of Israel's past as the twelve
                                              > tribes migrating the desert, storming the land of Canaan, and settling
                                              > there as a nation of twelve tribes was still au courant.
                                              >
                                              > When Sennacherib refers to Hezekiah, it is a the "Judean", often
                                              > translated the "Jew", but hardly meaning more than "the man from (the
                                              > landscape/state) of Judah.
                                              >
                                              > Niels Peter Lemche

                                              In D.B. Redford: "Egypt, Canaan, and Israel in Ancient Times", Princeton
                                              University Press, 1992, p 295, is this sentence:

                                              "Kenites, Yerahmeelites, Calebites, Othnielites, and others constituted
                                              the population of the rugged country called _Har Yehuda_, "the mountain
                                              (district) of the gorge(s)."

                                              The citations are M. Noth, _The History of Israel_ (London, 1959),
                                              56-58; E. Lipinsky _VT 23_ (1973), 380-381; R. de Vaux, _The Early
                                              History of Israel_ (Philadelphia, 1978), 547.

                                              I don't have these citations available to check, so I can only suppose
                                              that they make the same assertion. Anyone clarify this for me?

                                              The term _Har Yehuda_ is apparently a proper noun. _Har_ is (loosely?)
                                              translated as "mountain" or "mountain range/region/district(?)"; is
                                              _Yehuda_ then the Hebrew(?) word for "gorge(s)"? If not, then is there
                                              an etymological connection?

                                              If so, then the _Yehuda(i?)_ could be construed as "(the people from)
                                              the gorges", one might suppose. I'm well aware that there is a hugely
                                              powerful tacit assumption that the proper noun is a "Biblical term", and
                                              therefore is exempt from legitimate question. That said, might there be
                                              some support for this conjecture?

                                              Thanks for reading.

                                              William D. Tallman
                                              343 Fleming Drive
                                              Sequim, WA 98382
                                              (360) 681-0247
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 30, 2009
                                                It is all based on the Old Testament. Noth has a long introductory chapter on the names of the tribes of Israel. He -- like de Vaux -- reckons Judah to have been originally a place name. And because of his authority, it has been generally accepted, although no longer discussed.

                                                Niels Peter Lemche

                                                On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 02:42:37PM +0100, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
                                                > It is an anachronism, before the Hellenistic Age. It is a left-over
                                                > from the days when the biblical history of Israel's past as the twelve
                                                > tribes migrating the desert, storming the land of Canaan, and settling
                                                > there as a nation of twelve tribes was still au courant.
                                                >
                                                > When Sennacherib refers to Hezekiah, it is a the "Judean", often
                                                > translated the "Jew", but hardly meaning more than "the man from (the
                                                > landscape/state) of Judah.
                                                >
                                                > Niels Peter Lemche

                                                In D.B. Redford: "Egypt, Canaan, and Israel in Ancient Times", Princeton
                                                University Press, 1992, p 295, is this sentence:

                                                "Kenites, Yerahmeelites, Calebites, Othnielites, and others constituted
                                                the population of the rugged country called _Har Yehuda_, "the mountain
                                                (district) of the gorge(s)."

                                                The citations are M. Noth, _The History of Israel_ (London, 1959),
                                                56-58; E. Lipinsky _VT 23_ (1973), 380-381; R. de Vaux, _The Early
                                                History of Israel_ (Philadelphia, 1978), 547.

                                                I don't have these citations available to check, so I can only suppose
                                                that they make the same assertion. Anyone clarify this for me?

                                                The term _Har Yehuda_ is apparently a proper noun. _Har_ is (loosely?)
                                                translated as "mountain" or "mountain range/region/district(?)"; is
                                                _Yehuda_ then the Hebrew(?) word for "gorge(s)"? If not, then is there
                                                an etymological connection?

                                                If so, then the _Yehuda(i?)_ could be construed as "(the people from)
                                                the gorges", one might suppose. I'm well aware that there is a hugely
                                                powerful tacit assumption that the proper noun is a "Biblical term", and
                                                therefore is exempt from legitimate question. That said, might there be
                                                some support for this conjecture?

                                                Thanks for reading.

                                                William D. Tallman
                                                343 Fleming Drive
                                                Sequim, WA 98382
                                                (360) 681-0247

                                              • Graham Hagens
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 3, 2010
                                                  --- On Wed, 12/30/09, victor avigdor hurowitz <victor@...> wrote:

                                                  > Oppenheimer? I didn't know he was
                                                  > interested in ANE. Didn't he help invent
                                                  > the bomb?

                                                  That Oppenheimer may well have been. As the bomb went off he famously quoted the line from the Bhagavad Gita in which Krishna tells Arjuna that he is death the destroyer of worlds. Since that poem was purportedly first recited in Persian (or Hellenistic) Taxila, it would be fall within the boundaries of the ANE as defined by this list.
                                                  It is probably of absolutely no significance at all that Pakistan's nuclear warheads are said to be stored very close to the ruins of Taxila.

                                                  Graham Hagens
                                                  Hamilton, Ontario
                                                • Brian Roberts
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 4, 2010
                                                    Liz,

                                                    Wow. I'm happy to see you so passionate about it.

                                                    Is there a compelling reason why the word should be translated differently due entirely to different historical/cultural contexts? Or could this be something along the lines of nephesh? Which can be translated about a couple dozen different ways. I don't mean to suggest that nephesh and yehudim are easily parallelled. Nephesh was just the first instance I know of a Hebrew word that can, sometimes purely by translator's preference, be rendered "soul" in one passage, but "life" in another, and "beast" in yet another.

                                                    best,

                                                    R. Brian Roberts
                                                    Charlotte, North Carolina

                                                    Is it correct to refer to the Israelites as Jews, prior to the Babylonian

                                                    exile?

                                                    Rik Rasmussen

                                                  • Jack Kilmon
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 5, 2010
> [...]
                                                      > accept mails about biblical topics, they may understand that it was
                                                      > normal in biblical studies to exchange (non-existing) facts with
                                                      > assertions.
                                                      >
                                                      > They may also understand that some of the so-called left wing biblical
                                                      > scholars (normally a term found in American studies -- traditionally
                                                      > European scholarship has been called so, such as the aforementioned Alt
                                                      > and Noth by members of the [William Foxwell] Albright guild, who
                                                      > considered them to be "nihilists" and worse) are not really interested
                                                      > in this discussion about historicity. We prefer today to discuss
                                                      > authors' intents and the memories embedded in their writings. There are
                                                      > also theological reasons for this but this definitely does not belong
                                                      > here. I have done my part of this (so far) in my recent book, The Old
                                                      > Testament between Theology and History from 2008.

                                                      Niels, I appreciate your viewpoint. Always have. Why? Even though I do
                                                      not agree with some of your positions, I agree with the process. If
                                                      consensus is not challenged, the process stops. One thing that cannot be
                                                      charged is that you do not challenge. BUT in my 70th year I will never
                                                      apologize for having been a student of Professor Albright and good ideas do
                                                      not have expiration dates.

                                                      Hope you have a great New Year,

                                                      Jack

                                                      Jack Kilmon