A Halt on DSS related posts until February

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 23, 2009
      It's become painfully apparent that the spate of recent posts on the DSS
      and related matters have generated more heat than light. Nothing new
      has been offered. And the beating of dead horses is threatening once
      again to overwhelm the List.

      So we are calling a halt to any postings on DSS topics until February,
      2010.

      Please do not post on matters DSS/Qumran/Essenes, etc. until that date.

      For the moderators,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • victor avigdor hurowitz
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 23, 2009
        What, may I ask, is going to happen in February, 2010 to resurrect the
        beaten horse? Is that when the winter rains will come to swell Ain
        Feshkha? Actually, it's been pretty rainy here in Israel so they've
        probably already arrived.
        Victor Hurowitz
        BGU

        On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        > It's become painfully apparent that the spate of recent posts on the DSS
        > and related matters have generated more heat than light. Nothing new
        > has been offered. And the beating of dead horses is threatening once
        > again to overwhelm the List.
        >
        > So we are calling a halt to any postings on DSS topics until February,
        > 2010.
        >
        > Please do not post on matters DSS/Qumran/Essenes, etc. until that date.
        >
        > For the moderators,
        >
        > Jeffrey Gibson
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > Chicago, Illinois
        > e-mail jgibson000@...

      • aren
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 23, 2009
          Victor, perhaps it would be better to wait until the Ides of March. Perhaps then something dramatic will happen...

          Aren Maeir
        • victor avigdor hurowitz
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 23, 2009
            Aren,
            Isn't mid-February closer to Groundhog Day?
            Victor Hurowitz
            BGU

            On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, aren wrote:

            > Victor, perhaps it would be better to wait until the Ides of March. Perhaps then something dramatic will happen...
            >
            > Aren Maeir

          • eliot braun
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 23, 2009
              Pardon my ignorance, but I read selectively from the list. What is DSS?

              Eliot Braun, Ph D
              PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
              Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

              On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, aren wrote:

              > Victor, perhaps it would be better to wait until the Ides of March. Perhaps then something dramatic will happen...
              >
              > Aren Maeir

            • victor avigdor hurowitz
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                DSS=Dead Sea Scrolls
                Victor Hurowitz
                BGU

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                  You cannot live in Jerusalem, a few hundred yards from the Ecole Biblique, with the Rockefeller Museum next to, and the DSS museum as part of the Israel Museum. Have you never passed the white dome at the Israel Museum? If you are serious, you have a problem. Because, you would have had plenty of possibility to ask colleagues at the Albright.

                  Niels Peter Lemche

                  On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, aren wrote:

                  > Victor, perhaps it would be better to wait until the Ides of March. Perhaps then something dramatic will happen...
                  >
                  > Aren Maeir

                • victor avigdor hurowitz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                    Thank you NPL for unifying Jerusalem. When I was hanging out at the
                    Albright in the mid-late 70s some people at the Albright still referred to
                    the Israel Museum as "on the other side".
                    Victor Hurowitz
                    BGU

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                      I was never in Jerusalem before 1967, so have never experienced it as a divided city, although the various parts are not always comforttably living together. I have no wish to see it divided again, find in unnatural like Berlin before 1989.

                      Niels Peter Lemche

                      Thank you NPL for unifying Jerusalem. When I was hanging out at the
                      Albright in the mid-late 70s some people at the Albright still referred to
                      the Israel Museum as "on the other side".
                      Victor Hurowitz
                      BGU

                      On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                      > You cannot live in Jerusalem, a few hundred yards from the Ecole Biblique, with the Rockefeller Museum next to, and the DSS museum as part of the Israel Museum. Have you never passed the white dome at the Israel Museum? If you are serious, you have a problem. Because, you would have had plenty of possibility to ask colleagues at the Albright.
                      >
                      > Niels Peter Lemche

                    • Joe Zias
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                        Eliot asks What is DSS?
                         In Charlotte, North Carolina they are/were called the Dead Sea Squirrels. when they were exhibited there.  See http://tzvee.blogspot.com/2006/05/charlotte-nc-dead-sea-squirrels.html%c2%a0 They do have some problems of interpretation there with Biblical Archaeology....nuf said.

                        Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                        Anthropology/Paleopathology

                        Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                        Jerusalem, Israel

                        On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, aren wrote:

                        > Victor, perhaps it would be better to wait until the Ides of March. Perhaps then something dramatic will happen...
                        >
                        > Aren Maeir

                      • Henrik Rasmussen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                          As someone who lives in North Carolina, please accept my apologies on behalf
                          of our state.

                          Rik Rasmussen
                          Wake Forest, NC