Re: [ANE-2] most prominent modern Egyptologist

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 8, 2009
      You should check on the EEF list.

      David Q. Hall

      ________________________________
      From: Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, November 8, 2009 9:01:17 PM
      Subject: [ANE-2] most prominent modern Egyptologist

      Can someone here please give me a list of say 10 of the most prominent
      and widely recognized Egyptologists working in this field today?

      With thanks in advance,

      Jeffrey

      -- Can someone here ples
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@comcast. net

    • Phoenix
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 11, 2009
        Dear Professor Gibson and Gentle Folk,

        There is an organization called the American Research Center in Egypt that many or most Egyptologists belong to. Scrutinizing their resources should yield excellent results for you. Egyptology does have its subsets of scholars, to be sure, so it helps to know what sort of information you are looking for. Otto Schaden, Kent Weeks, Mark Lehner, Richard Wilkinson, Betsy Bryan, Stephen P. Harvey, and others are active in the field there. Here is the link to "current expeditions in the field":
        http://www.arce.org/expeditions/currentexpeditions/allexpeditions

        That covers some of the archaeology for now. There are many international expeditions in Egypt, including Poland, Japan, Great Britain, Germany, France, US, Italy, etc.

        There are many scholars who specialize in religious, funerary, and literary texts. Where to begin? It's the same with botany, zoology, language, military history, medicine, etc., etc.

        If there is an aspect of particular interest, then ARCE can help you find it. The current national ARCE president is Emily Teeter, who has written several books herself, alone and with others. She is also curator of the Egyptian gallery at the Oriental Institute. The O.I. and ARCE may be a good resource for your further inquiries.

        May the winds of November be gentle,
        Demetria Nanos
        Chicago