SV: SV: SV: [ANE-2] collapsed conquest theories-ps

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
      OK, it does not sucks, it is just totally unacceptable, as is his language about his opponents, and then I suggest that we spare this forum for more. Another example why we should not discuss biblical matters here -- or topics relating to historicity of biblical events.

      Niels Peter Lemche

      PS: Here we once had a journalist who was nominated as Danish champion in stupid questions. He went to court and won his case. After that he was always referred to as the former champion.

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
        Dear Jean-Fabrice,
        As I patiently explained to Niels Peter: For many Americans, rudeness is of itself--regardless of cause--reprehensible. Even worse, rudeness and accuracy for these same Americans is unforgivable! Faust has very politely and without grounds accused Lemche and like-minded scholars of being anti-Semitic. Lemche very rudely dismissed Faust's work as a form of pornography. Do you really wish to object to Niels Peter's outburst for the sake of some thin ideal of scholarly politeness? I will not hesitate to say that I find your letter shameful. Do you really wish to defend the kind of dishonest scholarship such as Faust's which we have accepted these past many decades is acceptable merely on the grounds of its politeness?
        Thomas

        P.S. I have been a colleague of Lemche's for 16 years and, at least speak from experience and knowledge. What is your reason for preferring Faust's slander?

        Thomas L. Thompson
        Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

      • Thomas L. Thompson
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
          Dear Jean Fabrice
          "Red-necks" is ever a title of shame--and indeed very rude. A language nuance.

          If you are for debate, you might answer my question! The "debate" has not been friendly since 1974; nor has it been a mere war of words.The war in Palestine and Israel is both current and real.

          I visited France as a very young student--your description of the cloying politeness of the French escapes all memory.

          Are we to take it then that you wish to say no more than that you would prefer that this debate were nice? If so, we can ignore you........................................politely, of course.
          Thomas