Re: [ANE-2] Re: Merneptah's Seeds (was: collapsed conquest theories)

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 7, 2009
      There were a few battle descriptions in ancient Egypt about the enemy's seed being destroyed.  Israel was not singled out for this description.  I understand Egypt claimed Israel lost the battle.  From what I have read this Egyptian word seed is the word for seed as in grain.  An allegorical interpretation in the context of the stele might infer Israel lost their sons.

      David Q. Hall

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 7, 2009
        Dear Itay.
        Certainly, the negative term "seed (pr.t) is not" is used in a variety of ways, generally meaning much the same.
        Ramesses III uses this term with reference to the "chief of Amor - "his seed is not". Again the defeated Libyans claim, "fire has penetrated us, our seed is not".
        Ramesses again talks about the invaders (in his Asiatic wars), "those who reached my border are desolated, their seed is not". The context of which can hardly refer to the fields (grain) of the enemy.

        One other point which is not often mentioned. The fact that the people determinative is used for Israel does 'not' mean that Israel is a nationless people. At best it will refer to a people who were not within their 'national borders' (using the term loosely) at the time of contact with Merneptah.

        As an example, Ramesses III will refer to the Peleset using the 'land' determinative when he advances into their domain. However, when he is specifically referring to Peleset warriors he uses their name accompanied with the 'bowman' determinative.
        Then again when showing the Peleset as prisoners he uses the 'people' (man & woman + plural) determinative, because he is specifically talking about the people and only the people, not the 'country' nor the 'military'. This is just what Merneptah does on the Victory Stela.

        Therefore, all Merneptah is doing is referring to Israelite people. Contrary to popular opinion we cannot reasonably conclude that Israel is not yet a nation.
        In this I am not at all suggesting Israel had a 'nation' in this period, just that the suggestion that the use of a 'people' determinative 'means' they were not yet settled is erroneous. The use of the 'people' determinative means Merneptah is 'only' referring to the 'people', whether they were nationless or not is a separate issue.

        The correct determinative to use depends on the context of the phrase and in this context Merneptah may only be talking about the people, that the people have been decimated.

        All the best, Jon Smyth
        Toronto, CAN.

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "zmbq" <itay@...> wrote:

        >In ancient Egyptian, was that a common way of saying a people was >destroyed?
      • aren
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 7, 2009
          NPL,

          If I may quote you in one of your last posts:
          "Another view is presented by Avraham Faust, but his use of anthropology sucks --"

          C'mon - you can do better than that! This is not the way to voice your opinion, especially in a public forum, on another scholar's work - even if you don't agree with him!

          Keep in mind that many don't accept your opinions as well, and you would not want to set a scatological standard for scholarly debates...

          Aren Maeir
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7, 2009
            Dear Aren,

            Maybe harsh but true. Read our reviews.

            Niels Peter Lemche

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2009
              PS:

              I should have added that what is really problematic is the way Faust
              uses anthropology, its discussion about ethnicity, to create an Israeli
              (I write this by intention) nationality and push it back into the Iron
              Age.

              And then, if you read his concluding remarks about me and my
              comrades-in-arms, you -- or somebody more neutral -- may say that I was
              right.

              Niels Peter Lemche
            • aren
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
                NPL,
                Still, there is an accepted language of discourse that should, in my humble opinion, be adhered to. It is what, in Yiddish, we call Menschlichkeit!

                Aren Maeir
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
                  OK, it does not sucks, it is just totally unacceptable, as is his language about his opponents, and then I suggest that we spare this forum for more. Another example why we should not discuss biblical matters here -- or topics relating to historicity of biblical events.

                  Niels Peter Lemche

                  PS: Here we once had a journalist who was nominated as Danish champion in stupid questions. He went to court and won his case. After that he was always referred to as the former champion.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
                    Dear Jean-Fabrice,
                    As I patiently explained to Niels Peter: For many Americans, rudeness is of itself--regardless of cause--reprehensible. Even worse, rudeness and accuracy for these same Americans is unforgivable! Faust has very politely and without grounds accused Lemche and like-minded scholars of being anti-Semitic. Lemche very rudely dismissed Faust's work as a form of pornography. Do you really wish to object to Niels Peter's outburst for the sake of some thin ideal of scholarly politeness? I will not hesitate to say that I find your letter shameful. Do you really wish to defend the kind of dishonest scholarship such as Faust's which we have accepted these past many decades is acceptable merely on the grounds of its politeness?
                    Thomas

                    P.S. I have been a colleague of Lemche's for 16 years and, at least speak from experience and knowledge. What is your reason for preferring Faust's slander?

                    Thomas L. Thompson
                    Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

                  • Thomas L. Thompson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2009
                      Dear Jean Fabrice
                      "Red-necks" is ever a title of shame--and indeed very rude. A language nuance.

                      If you are for debate, you might answer my question! The "debate" has not been friendly since 1974; nor has it been a mere war of words.The war in Palestine and Israel is both current and real.

                      I visited France as a very young student--your description of the cloying politeness of the French escapes all memory.

                      Are we to take it then that you wish to say no more than that you would prefer that this debate were nice? If so, we can ignore you........................................politely, of course.
                      Thomas