Re: [ANE-2] Re: Request for Assistance

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
      Yigal Bloch wrote:
      > If I may offer my two cents on this...
      >
      > I don't think it makes any difference how Jody defines "Hebrews." As long as the paper is a survey of literature, which does not attempt to pass a judgment on who's right and who's wrong, it will be the task of the reader to go to the relevant sources and make up his mind on his own.

      Her selection of literature on "Hebrews" is presumably determined by a
      definition of "Hebrews". Otherwise how would she know what literature
      to include in her listings.

      But if you read her paper, you will see that it is full of equivocation
      on this point. Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
      if they were the same thing.

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
        Jeffrey Gibson is correct in his statement that in my paper, Ancient
        Hebrews and Arabia,
        "Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
        if they were the same thing."

        I cast a wide net to snare as many references to past research that
        showed a
        "connection" prior to 586 BCE.

        As Yigal Bloch wrote, this is a survey of literature hopefully
        presented in
        such a manner as to encourage current scholarship.

        I leave the opinions to individuals with relevant academic and field
        credentials.
        Email me at jgorran11@... and I'll send you a pdf of the paper.

        By the way, I am a "he".

        Jody A. Gorran

      • Graham Hagens
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2009
          --- On Sat, 11/7/09, Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

          "But if you read her paper, you will see that it is full of equivocation
          on this point. Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
          if they were the same thing"

          Is there any consensus on the "correct" definition or usage of these three terms?

          Graham Hagens