Re: [ANE-2] Request for Assistance

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
      Jody Gorran wrote:
      > I have cross-posted this request for assistance to several lists, so
      > please forgive
      > me if you happen to see it more than once.
      >
      > I am seeking to locate an open-access publication that would be interested in
      > publishing a paper I have written a entitled Ancient Hebrews and Arabia.
      >
      > The paper is a literature review of books, journal articles and dissertations
      > published over the past 175 years which provide numerous references to theories
      > relating to a substantive Hebrew relationship, involvement and/or
      > presence in Arabia
      > during the millennia before the destruction of the first temple in 586
      > BCE and the
      > century thereafter.

      Ummm ... how are you defining "Hebrew"? And are you certain that the
      authors you cite not only agree with you regarding who these "Hebrews"
      were, but are at one with one another on who the "Hebrews" are that they
      write about as having been present in Arabia "during the millennia
      before the destruction of the first temple in 586 and the century
      thereafter"?

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
        If I may offer my two cents on this...

        I don't think it makes any difference how Jody defines "Hebrews." As long as the paper is a survey of literature, which does not attempt to pass a judgment on who's right and who's wrong, it will be the task of the reader to go to the relevant sources and make up his mind on his own.
        I cannot offer valuable advice concerning publication, aside from suggesting to turn to the Journal of the Hebrew Scriptures or or to Jewish Studies, an Internet Journal (google 'em!), but I'd be interested in receiving a copy of the paper.

        Yigal Bloch,
        Jerusalem

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
          Yigal Bloch wrote:
          > If I may offer my two cents on this...
          >
          > I don't think it makes any difference how Jody defines "Hebrews." As long as the paper is a survey of literature, which does not attempt to pass a judgment on who's right and who's wrong, it will be the task of the reader to go to the relevant sources and make up his mind on his own.

          Her selection of literature on "Hebrews" is presumably determined by a
          definition of "Hebrews". Otherwise how would she know what literature
          to include in her listings.

          But if you read her paper, you will see that it is full of equivocation
          on this point. Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
          if they were the same thing.

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
            Jeffrey Gibson is correct in his statement that in my paper, Ancient
            Hebrews and Arabia,
            "Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
            if they were the same thing."

            I cast a wide net to snare as many references to past research that
            showed a
            "connection" prior to 586 BCE.

            As Yigal Bloch wrote, this is a survey of literature hopefully
            presented in
            such a manner as to encourage current scholarship.

            I leave the opinions to individuals with relevant academic and field
            credentials.
            Email me at jgorran11@... and I'll send you a pdf of the paper.

            By the way, I am a "he".

            Jody A. Gorran

          • Graham Hagens
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2009
              --- On Sat, 11/7/09, Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

              "But if you read her paper, you will see that it is full of equivocation
              on this point. Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
              if they were the same thing"

              Is there any consensus on the "correct" definition or usage of these three terms?

              Graham Hagens