Request for Assistance

  • Jody Gorran
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
      I have cross-posted this request for assistance to several lists, so
      please forgive
      me if you happen to see it more than once.

      I am seeking to locate an open-access publication that would be interested in
      publishing a paper I have written a entitled Ancient Hebrews and Arabia.

      The paper is a literature review of books, journal articles and dissertations
      published over the past 175 years which provide numerous references to theories
      relating to a substantive Hebrew relationship, involvement and/or
      presence in Arabia
      during the millennia before the destruction of the first temple in 586
      BCE and the
      century thereafter.

      The majority of these references seem to be unacknowledged by today’s scholarly
      community.

      I take no position or make any judgments as to the validity of any of
      the theories that I
      present along with their reference citations. I leave those
      determinations to scholars with
      appropriate academic and field credentials.

      The paper is 52 pages including citations and as a pdf document it is 205 KB.

      I would be pleased to send a pdf copy via email to anyone on this list
      who might request
      one. Even if you are unable to directly assist me in my search for a
      publisher, I am most
      willing to send you a copy for your review.

      My point is to make this material easily available to any interested scholar.

      You may request a copy directly from me at jgorran11@...

      Jody A. Gorran
      Delray Beach, Florida USA
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
        Jody Gorran wrote:
        > I have cross-posted this request for assistance to several lists, so
        > please forgive
        > me if you happen to see it more than once.
        >
        > I am seeking to locate an open-access publication that would be interested in
        > publishing a paper I have written a entitled Ancient Hebrews and Arabia.
        >
        > The paper is a literature review of books, journal articles and dissertations
        > published over the past 175 years which provide numerous references to theories
        > relating to a substantive Hebrew relationship, involvement and/or
        > presence in Arabia
        > during the millennia before the destruction of the first temple in 586
        > BCE and the
        > century thereafter.

        Ummm ... how are you defining "Hebrew"? And are you certain that the
        authors you cite not only agree with you regarding who these "Hebrews"
        were, but are at one with one another on who the "Hebrews" are that they
        write about as having been present in Arabia "during the millennia
        before the destruction of the first temple in 586 and the century
        thereafter"?

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
          If I may offer my two cents on this...

          I don't think it makes any difference how Jody defines "Hebrews." As long as the paper is a survey of literature, which does not attempt to pass a judgment on who's right and who's wrong, it will be the task of the reader to go to the relevant sources and make up his mind on his own.
          I cannot offer valuable advice concerning publication, aside from suggesting to turn to the Journal of the Hebrew Scriptures or or to Jewish Studies, an Internet Journal (google 'em!), but I'd be interested in receiving a copy of the paper.

          Yigal Bloch,
          Jerusalem

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
            Yigal Bloch wrote:
            > If I may offer my two cents on this...
            >
            > I don't think it makes any difference how Jody defines "Hebrews." As long as the paper is a survey of literature, which does not attempt to pass a judgment on who's right and who's wrong, it will be the task of the reader to go to the relevant sources and make up his mind on his own.

            Her selection of literature on "Hebrews" is presumably determined by a
            definition of "Hebrews". Otherwise how would she know what literature
            to include in her listings.

            But if you read her paper, you will see that it is full of equivocation
            on this point. Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
            if they were the same thing.

            Jeffrey

            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
              Jeffrey Gibson is correct in his statement that in my paper, Ancient
              Hebrews and Arabia,
              "Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
              if they were the same thing."

              I cast a wide net to snare as many references to past research that
              showed a
              "connection" prior to 586 BCE.

              As Yigal Bloch wrote, this is a survey of literature hopefully
              presented in
              such a manner as to encourage current scholarship.

              I leave the opinions to individuals with relevant academic and field
              credentials.
              Email me at jgorran11@... and I'll send you a pdf of the paper.

              By the way, I am a "he".

              Jody A. Gorran

            • Graham Hagens
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2009
                --- On Sat, 11/7/09, Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

                "But if you read her paper, you will see that it is full of equivocation
                on this point. Israelites, "Hebrews", and Jews are all regarded as
                if they were the same thing"

                Is there any consensus on the "correct" definition or usage of these three terms?

                Graham Hagens