Khirbet Qayaha Update

  • zmbq
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2009
      Saar Ganor and Hagai Misgav gave an update on the 2009 season in Kihrbet Qayafa, as well as the latest on the ostracon. Aren Maeir summed it up very nicely: http://gath.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/qeiyafah-inscription-update/ . He also provided a helpful translation of the Hebrew: http://gath.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/for-those-who-dont-know-any-biblical-hebrew/ .

      I only have one thing to add: Hagai Misgav mentioned in passing there were no pig bones found on site.

      Itay Zandbank
    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2009
        Are we permitted to see a photograph yet? One which does not have
        fingers obscuring the already obscure signs? Or a drawing?

        Aren Maeir has issued two pieces on Hagai Misgav's report on the text:

        http://gath.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/qeiyafah-inscription-update/

        http://gath.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/qeiyafah-inscription-update/

        My transcription of this square Hebrew (BEC)

        [1] ‘' l t ` $ [ ] w ` b d ‘ [t]

        [2] $ p t. b w ' ‘ l m [ ] ‘ l? t.

        [3] '‘? l? w b ` l l

        [4] ‘' [ ] m w n q m y s d m l k g [ t?] p[?]

        [5] s r n? ` [...] m g/d r t

        I am uncertain about the use of the slash [ / ] in the transcription.
        Were any word-separation marks detected?

        ( V e r y ) R o u g h t r a n s l a t i o n o f M i s g a
        v s r e a d i n g (Aren Maeir)

        D o n o t d o [ ] a n d s e r v a n t a [ & ]
        J u d g e & . . [ ] E l ( ? ) &
        E l ( ? ) a n d B a a l l
        P e [ r s o ] n w i l l r e v e n g e , Y S D k i n g ( o
        f ) G [ a t h ( ? ) ]
        S e r e n ( ? ) a [ & ] f r o m G e d e r o t ( ? )

        BEC: We can now see the judge (sh-p-t.) and the king (mlk), and is it
        wishful thinking that makes him 'the king of Gath'? Even the
        Philistine tyrant (srn) makes an apparent appearance.

        We have Ba`al and 'El , and even 'Elat (the goddess) if we want her,
        as the very first word (as I have noted here before).

        What are the verbs or roots?
        ` $ y ('make/do) and `bd (make/do?! or serve, or servant, state
        minister) [1]
        bw' (come?) [2]
        nqm (avenge) [4]
        ysd (found, establish, ordain)
        gdr (heap of stones, for a slingshot, or a wall?) (but does g/d mean
        choose which is right?)

        Negative particles? 'l [1] l' [3-4}

        Is line 1 really the first line, or has other writing been broken off?

        As with the Izbet Sartah ostracon, I would plump for a coherent
        statement, not a collection of words or letters.

        Well, come on, here we have a known script and a known language, so
        why is there no 'decipherment'? I take consolation from cases like
        this, when my readings of Bronze-Age inscriptions (consonantal and
        syllabic) are dismissed as 'fanciful' and 'bizarre'. ( -;

        Getting into the mind of a writer of a text is always difficult; even
        more so when the handwriting is peculiar and illegible at some points.

        I will be releasing my latest attempt on the Wadi el-Hol graffiti some
        time soon. But people keep sending me amazing inscriptions to ponder
        over: YH on stones from Har Karkom (the true Mount Horeb/Sinai, inside
        Israel); a graven image with YHWH on it!

        Brian Colless
        Massey University, NZ

        On 17/10/2009, at 5:16 AM, zmbq wrote:

        > Saar Ganor and Hagai Misgav gave an update on the 2009 season in
        > Kihrbet Qayafa, as well as the latest on the ostracon. Aren Maeir
        > summed it up very nicely:http://gath.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/qeiyafah-inscription-update/
        > . He also provided a helpful translation of the Hebrew: http://gath.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/for-those-who-dont-know-any-biblical-hebrew/
        > .
        >
        > I only have one thing to add: Hagai Misgav mentioned in passing
        > there were no pig bones found on site.
        >
        > Itay Zandbank

      • Michael F. Lane
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2009
          Dear all,

          Can anyone recommend a good general source on the organization of scribal
          work, workshops, or archives in the UR III period?

          All best,

          Michael F. Lane
          Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

          --
          Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
          Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 20, 2009
            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Brian Colless <briancolless@...> wrote:

            > Are we permitted to see a photograph yet? One which does not have
            > fingers obscuring the already obscure signs? Or a drawing?

            Brian,

            George Grena has posted a drawing of it on the Biblicalist Yahoo group.

            Jordan Wilson
            Intentionme@...