Re: [ANE-2] Death of Ariel Szczupak

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
      He was all of those things and more, surprising me at some of the things he tackled in depth, our interests together began with cuneiform, but later I found his wartime experiences with his family in France gave me another perspective on WWII than those of us in a different age group experienced during and after the war.

      Beatrice Hopkinson

      whiting@...

      >Yes, thank you, Bea. Ariel had indeed been with ANE-2 since its inception
      >in 2006. In fact, he was invited to be a moderator, but declined. I for
      >one will miss his incisive analyses, his wry humor, and his skepticism
      >about almost everything.
      >
      >Bob Whiting
      >whiting@...
      >
      >On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:
      >
      >> Dear Listmembers,
      >>
      >> I thought you might like to know that Ariel, a long time
      >> correspondent to this list, sadly passed away last Saturday.
      >>
      >> Beatrice Hopkinson

      Beatrice Hopkinson,
      Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
      Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
      President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
      Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
      (beahopkinson@...)

      818 766 7780
    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
        This announcement has affected me deeply (meaning affection for him
        and his effect on me).

        It came at the same time as I went to see The Yeomen of the Guard,
        which contains the words Gilbert used as an epitaph for Sullivan:

        Is life a boon? If so, it must befall that Death, whene'er he call,
        must call too soon.

        With Ariel's passing I have lost my greatest supporter and my severest
        critic ("his skepticism about almost everything", as Bob Whiting says).

        Look after yourself, Beatrice, you might have to take his place as the
        sympathetic opponent of my ideas. And Bob was talking about the West
        Semitic syllabary recently as if Mendenhall (and myself) had a line
        that is worth following

        Most recently (November 2008) Ariel was looking at WS Research
        photographs of the Sinai inscription (375a) on which I detected the
        word mpkt (Egyptian loanword mfkt) 'turquoise'. At the time I was
        talking about it in this forum.

        My results (without the vital photos) are now at
        http://cryptcracker.blogspot.com/

        Here is something he said, in relation to another project he worked
        on, examining every letter on the Izbet Sartah ostracon, and he shared
        everything with me.

        >> >[Btw, some time ago I tried to make a facsimile from a high quality
        >> >web photo of the Izbeth Sartah ostracon (using various digital
        >> >tricks to try and tell "real" lines from damages and optical
        >> >illusions). The resulting facsimile had, if I recall correctly, 2 or
        >> >3 very significant differences from all the published facsimiles of
        >> >the ostracon. Moral: DON'T try to extract data from web photos.]

        I was asking him how we could put it all on the web, for others to
        use, but he did not know what to do, and he had a bad lung infection
        at the time.

        Here are his own websites:

        http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
        http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/

        At least I am glad that I was not left wondering what had happened to
        this helpful 'cobber' (khaber).

        Brian Colless
        Massey University, New Zealand

        (My death is not going to be on the national or international news!)

        On 4/09/2009, at 5:20 AM, Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:

        > He was all of those things and more, surprising me at some of the
        > things he tackled in depth, our interests together began with
        > cuneiform, but later I found his wartime experiences with his family
        > in France gave me another perspective on WWII than those of us in a
        > different age group experienced during and after the war.
        >
        > Beatrice Hopkinson
        >
        > whiting@...
        >
        > >Yes, thank you, Bea. Ariel had indeed been with ANE-2 since its
        > inception
        > >in 2006. In fact, he was invited to be a moderator, but declined. I
        > for
        > >one will miss his incisive analyses, his wry humor, and his
        > skepticism
        > >about almost everything.
        > >
        > >Bob Whiting
        > >whiting@...
        > >
        > >On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:
        > >
        > >> Dear Listmembers,
        > >>
        > >> I thought you might like to know that Ariel, a long time
        > >> correspondent to this list, sadly passed away last Saturday.
        > >>
        > >> Beatrice Hopkinson
        >
        > Beatrice Hopkinson,
        > Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
        > Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
        > President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
        > Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
        > (beahopkinson@...)
        >
        > 818 766 7780

      • arenmaeir
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
          Ariel will be missed by the members of the Tell es-Safi/Gath Archaeological Project as well. Ariel participated in the excavations about 10 years ago, and since then has been avidly interested in the results.

          Chaval de-Avdin ve-de-lo mishtakchin.

          Aren Maeir
        • Beatrice Hopkinson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
            Apparently he became interested in archaeology when he was a young boy.
            I also thought he was perceptive when he came to see me and after holding
            a Beveled Rim Bowl in his hand he noted it was much lighter than a
            platter found at the same site.

            Beatrice Hopkinson

            maeira@...