Death of Ariel Szczupak

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
      Dear Listmembers,

      I thought you might like to know that Ariel, a long time
      correspondent to this list, sadly passed away last Saturday.

      Beatrice Hopkinson

      Beatrice Hopkinson,
      Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
      Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
      President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
      Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
      (beahopkinson@...)

      818 766 7780
    • Robert M Whiting
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
        Yes, thank you, Bea. Ariel had indeed been with ANE-2 since its inception
        in 2006. In fact, he was invited to be a moderator, but declined. I for
        one will miss his incisive analyses, his wry humor, and his skepticism
        about almost everything.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...

        On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:

        > Dear Listmembers,
        >
        > I thought you might like to know that Ariel, a long time
        > correspondent to this list, sadly passed away last Saturday.
        >
        > Beatrice Hopkinson
        >
        > Beatrice Hopkinson,
        > Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
        > Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
        > President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
        > Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
        > (beahopkinson@...)
        >
        > 818 766 7780

      • Beatrice Hopkinson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
          He was all of those things and more, surprising me at some of the things he tackled in depth, our interests together began with cuneiform, but later I found his wartime experiences with his family in France gave me another perspective on WWII than those of us in a different age group experienced during and after the war.

          Beatrice Hopkinson

          whiting@...

          >Yes, thank you, Bea. Ariel had indeed been with ANE-2 since its inception
          >in 2006. In fact, he was invited to be a moderator, but declined. I for
          >one will miss his incisive analyses, his wry humor, and his skepticism
          >about almost everything.
          >
          >Bob Whiting
          >whiting@...
          >
          >On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:
          >
          >> Dear Listmembers,
          >>
          >> I thought you might like to know that Ariel, a long time
          >> correspondent to this list, sadly passed away last Saturday.
          >>
          >> Beatrice Hopkinson

          Beatrice Hopkinson,
          Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
          Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
          President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
          Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
          (beahopkinson@...)

          818 766 7780
        • Brian Colless
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
            This announcement has affected me deeply (meaning affection for him
            and his effect on me).

            It came at the same time as I went to see The Yeomen of the Guard,
            which contains the words Gilbert used as an epitaph for Sullivan:

            Is life a boon? If so, it must befall that Death, whene'er he call,
            must call too soon.

            With Ariel's passing I have lost my greatest supporter and my severest
            critic ("his skepticism about almost everything", as Bob Whiting says).

            Look after yourself, Beatrice, you might have to take his place as the
            sympathetic opponent of my ideas. And Bob was talking about the West
            Semitic syllabary recently as if Mendenhall (and myself) had a line
            that is worth following

            Most recently (November 2008) Ariel was looking at WS Research
            photographs of the Sinai inscription (375a) on which I detected the
            word mpkt (Egyptian loanword mfkt) 'turquoise'. At the time I was
            talking about it in this forum.

            My results (without the vital photos) are now at
            http://cryptcracker.blogspot.com/

            Here is something he said, in relation to another project he worked
            on, examining every letter on the Izbet Sartah ostracon, and he shared
            everything with me.

            >> >[Btw, some time ago I tried to make a facsimile from a high quality
            >> >web photo of the Izbeth Sartah ostracon (using various digital
            >> >tricks to try and tell "real" lines from damages and optical
            >> >illusions). The resulting facsimile had, if I recall correctly, 2 or
            >> >3 very significant differences from all the published facsimiles of
            >> >the ostracon. Moral: DON'T try to extract data from web photos.]

            I was asking him how we could put it all on the web, for others to
            use, but he did not know what to do, and he had a bad lung infection
            at the time.

            Here are his own websites:

            http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
            http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/

            At least I am glad that I was not left wondering what had happened to
            this helpful 'cobber' (khaber).

            Brian Colless
            Massey University, New Zealand

            (My death is not going to be on the national or international news!)

            On 4/09/2009, at 5:20 AM, Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:

            > He was all of those things and more, surprising me at some of the
            > things he tackled in depth, our interests together began with
            > cuneiform, but later I found his wartime experiences with his family
            > in France gave me another perspective on WWII than those of us in a
            > different age group experienced during and after the war.
            >
            > Beatrice Hopkinson
            >
            > whiting@...
            >
            > >Yes, thank you, Bea. Ariel had indeed been with ANE-2 since its
            > inception
            > >in 2006. In fact, he was invited to be a moderator, but declined. I
            > for
            > >one will miss his incisive analyses, his wry humor, and his
            > skepticism
            > >about almost everything.
            > >
            > >Bob Whiting
            > >whiting@...
            > >
            > >On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:
            > >
            > >> Dear Listmembers,
            > >>
            > >> I thought you might like to know that Ariel, a long time
            > >> correspondent to this list, sadly passed away last Saturday.
            > >>
            > >> Beatrice Hopkinson
            >
            > Beatrice Hopkinson,
            > Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
            > Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
            > President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
            > Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
            > (beahopkinson@...)
            >
            > 818 766 7780

          • arenmaeir
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
              Ariel will be missed by the members of the Tell es-Safi/Gath Archaeological Project as well. Ariel participated in the excavations about 10 years ago, and since then has been avidly interested in the results.

              Chaval de-Avdin ve-de-lo mishtakchin.

              Aren Maeir
            • Beatrice Hopkinson
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
                Apparently he became interested in archaeology when he was a young boy.
                I also thought he was perceptive when he came to see me and after holding
                a Beveled Rim Bowl in his hand he noted it was much lighter than a
                platter found at the same site.

                Beatrice Hopkinson

                maeira@...