Re: [biblical-studies] concerning archaeologists and the media

  • arenmaeir
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3 5:24 AM
      Personally, I think that you are all making a mountain of a molehill!

      Those of us archaeologists who are actually DOING archaeology, instead of talking about it, are doing great stuff, getting good publicity, we know how to "use" the media when needed, and most of the public knows to differentiate between the real stuff and the "crap." And yes, I do believe that we should have a dialogue with populizers, such as SJ, who if are dealt with responsibility, and with a healthy sense of humor (which some of my more ascerbic colleagues seem to be missing), can do very good service to our needs.

      Yes, there are always nut cases out there, and one cannot stop these people. BUT, when we get out there, we can get some sensible stuff out. You don't do this by creating new and independent media outlets (there is a limit to resources and time), but rather use those that exist and do it sensibly. If some of you feel that you can't and they "take you for a ride" - you are in need of lessons how to deal with the media. Don't blame the media!

      If anything, all too often, this list, and many other fora dealing with archaeology, Bible, and ANE studies, go on tangents that are only vaguely (at the most) connected to what actual CUTTING EDGE research is dealing with nowadays. And let's not forget - that is what archaeology - and scientified research in general - is about - RESEARCH! PR is a minor, even if at times important aspect - but research is our priority. My feeling is that many of those (but clearly, not all!) who write on such lists and make a lot of noise about the misrepresentation of archaeology in the media, are not mainstream archaeologists, those who actually doing the REAL research out there (instead of just complaining about what others are doing and bitching about how things are misrepresented in the media), and by definition, have very little to contribute to the discussion.

      I don't need to be lectured BY ANYONE about how one does archaeology. I can match, and in my opinion beat, most of not all of those who pontificate about this - those who have never run an excavation, published excavavations, and done syntheses of archaeological materials. They have NO idea about the "trials and tribulations" of running excavations (and all the related headaches) - not to mention raising research funds for our activities.

      As to the "department chairman" that Joe was referring to: That was me! And I did not decide to abstain from action after he informed me of his suspicions, but rather, I checked out his rather severe accusations about one of my colleagues - which turned out to be baseless... If he would like to pursue this thru other avenues - be my guest.

      Finally - although I don't support everything that is written in BAR, and/or all the public stances that HS has taken over the years (ever hear of freedom of speach?), I have no doubt that HS and BAR have done MORE to promote the archaeology of the ANE in general and of Israel in particular, in a wide variety of ways, both PR to the public, helping us get team members for our excavations, disseminating information to the public about our finds, and YES, also funding for excavations (fair disclosure - to my excavations as well!). The "holier than thou" stance that some of my more vociferous colleagues have taken is great - they may even win brownie points in the "happy hunting grounds" - but it has nothing to do with what is actually happening in the field.

      We have a saying in Hebrew: "Haklavim novchim - ve-Hashayara overet" (the dogs bark and the convoy continues)...

      Aren Maeir
      Actually doing resarch at Gath
      www.dig-gath.org
    • Brian Yare
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3 8:50 AM
        A simple question, to one who claims to be doing excavations.

        How long should it take to get at least the basic findings into press?

        The EEF/EES/ERA/BSAE used to do it within a year. Other nationalities
        regularly take 10/20/50 years.

        Is your basic data from last year available yet?

        Brian Yare

      • arenmaeir
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3 12:31 PM
          Brian,
          If you would follow the relevant professional publications (or, for example, see partial list here [http://gath.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/updated-bibliography-on-tell-es-safigath-project-2/%5d), you would see that the Tell es-Safi/Gath Excavation Project has generated tens of publications since the beginning of the project, including general summaries published in various places, several disserations and theses, publications on specific finds, and discussions of various topics and themes. In addition, our first volume of final reports (actually two volumes with 29 chapters) is going to press at the beginning of 2010.

          Sorry - but you will have to blame others for lack of publications...

          Aren Maeir
          Tell it at Gath
        • Brian Yare
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3 2:50 PM
            Aren

            Thank you
            2010 is good news. Others take longer

            Brian yare

          • intentionme
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3 3:01 PM
              In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "arenmaeir" wrote:

              >the Tell es-Safi/Gath Excavation Project has generated tens of publications since the beginning of the project, including general summaries published in various places, several disserations and theses, publications on specific finds, and discussions of various topics and themes. In addition, our first volume of final reports (actually two volumes with 29 chapters) is going to press at the beginning of 2010.

              Aren,

              As a rank amateur archeology fan, I'd like to personally thank you for maintaining such a great website on your digs. When the season was open, I'd check your blog daily for the latest findings. If others would emulate your format, the pundits would have to find something else to complain about. Please keep the great communication open.

              Sincerely,
              Jordan Wilson
            • cejo@uchicago.edu
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3 7:08 PM
                I also think Aren's doing a great job.

                And this offers the opportunity to remind people of the feed aggregator:
                Taygete Atlantis: Excavation Blogs (Antiquity)
                http://planet.atlantides.org/taygete/

                whenever we discover a feed from an excavation blog we add it. So let us know if we're missing
                something, and add this feed to your own feed reader. If your own project doesn't yet have a blog
                start one!

                -Chuck Jones-
                New York "...a city where more than 7 million people live in peace and enjoy the benefits of democracy"
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3 8:13 PM
                  That, by the way, is a slogan of WNYC Radio from the 1940s or 1950s, which some years ago they found in the archives and repeat (in the original recording) every so often.