Siris?

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
      Greetings, All,

      I have recently come across some non-scholastic references to a
      supposedly Sumerian beer goddess names Siris. The name and
      association seem to go back to an article of Oppenheim's from 1950.
      Was the name "Siris" a misreading? I have never heard of this goddess
      before and I am wondering as to the origins of this character. Any
      help would be greatly appreciated.

      Many thanks in advance,
      Stephanie Budin
    • victor avigdor hurowitz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
        Dear Stephanie,
        Have a look at CAD S p. 306. s.v. Sira$, beer. For the hymn see ETCSL and
        the hymn to Ninkasi
        Best,
        Victor Hurowitz
        BGU

        On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 sbudin@... wrote:

        > Greetings, All,
        >
        > I have recently come across some non-scholastic references to a
        > supposedly Sumerian beer goddess names Siris. The name and
        > association seem to go back to an article of Oppenheim's from 1950.
        > Was the name "Siris" a misreading? I have never heard of this goddess
        > before and I am wondering as to the origins of this character. Any
        > help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Many thanks in advance,
        > Stephanie Budin

      • victor avigdor hurowitz
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
          Dear ANE and Stephanie,
          I'm not sure my answer to this sent several hours ago reached ANE, so here
          I go again.

          Have a look at CAD s.v. sira$, beer. Also have a look at the ETCSL for a
          hymn to Ninkasi, the beer goddess. There you will find bibliography.
          Best,
          Victor Hurowitz
          BGU

          On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 sbudin@... wrote:

          > Greetings, All,
          >
          > I have recently come across some non-scholastic references to a
          > supposedly Sumerian beer goddess names Siris. The name and
          > association seem to go back to an article of Oppenheim's from 1950.
          > Was the name "Siris" a misreading? I have never heard of this goddess
          > before and I am wondering as to the origins of this character. Any
          > help would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Many thanks in advance,
          > Stephanie Budin

        • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
            Synthesis by Manfred Krebernik, "Nin-kasi und Sira$/Siris", in RLA 9,
            5-6 (Berlin, 2000), pp. 442-444 ; for further materials, see Margaret
            Jaques, "Le vocabulaire des sentiments dans les textes sumériens"
            (Münster, 2006), pp. 77-78 note 182 (the epithets of the goddess). It is
            interesting to remark, with Rivkah Harris ("Gender and Aging in
            Mesopotamia" (Norman, 2000), p. 106), that "the occupation of female
            brewer disappeared in the Old Babylonian period, but significantly the
            deities of brewing and alcoholic beverages - Sirish and Ninkasi -
            remained feminine".

            J.-F. Nardelli
            Université de Provence