Re: Qumran and the DSS a must read by one and all

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2009
      sorry for the omission http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/cargill2_08261.shtml

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com
      Anthropology/Paleopathology

      Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

      --- On Wed, 8/26/09, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

      From: Joe Zias <joezias@...>
      Subject: Qumran and the DSS a must read by one and all
      To: "ANE II list" <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 3:39 PM

      If there is one essay to be read this year by students, amateurs, the
      media and scholars alike this is the one. For too long Qumran and the
      Scrolls have been a magnet for all types of craziness, much of it
      connected with the fast buck. The ex fireman's ability to raise 148,000
      for his highly profitable 'non-profit'  enterprise, has been the norm
      for much of this. During my employ in the IAA we received each and
      every year correspondence from quite a number of people with visions,
      schemes, dreams, prophecies which after a short note that we received
      it, went into the 'nut file'. The problem with the Dead Sea scrolls
      however and in particular this 'project' is that they were able to come
      up with large sums of money and a lot of promises that if certain folks
      cooperated, 'everything would be fine. Vendyl Jones pulled this off for
      years and it seems that this is more of the same. Great essay, I wish I
      would have written it. It is a must read.