oldest romantic poem

  • frankclancy
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 25, 2009
      I would like to know the oldest love poem, romantic poem - nothing salacious please. Hope someone might be able to help. Also an English translation would help.

      Thanks. Frank Clancy
    • victor avigdor hurowitz
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 25, 2009
        Have a look at -

        Sefati, Y.. ; Love Songs in Sumerian Literature - Critical Edition of the
        Dumuzi-Inanna Songs , 445+ pp. Ramat-Gan , Bar-Ilan - Publication of the
        S.N. Institute of Assyriology, 1998.

        You can also try, from a different part of the world
        Michael V. Fox,Love Songs from Ancient Egypt [Hebrew] Magnes Press,
        Jerusalem (123 pp.)
        idem, The Song of Songs and the Ancient Egyptian Love
        Songs. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press. Reprinted 1989, 1999 (454
        pp.).
        These works are erotic and romantic. Whether they are salacious, that's a
        matter of fashion and taste.

        For some more recent stuff, not quite as old but "hot" off the press try
        A. R. George, Babylonian Literary Texts in the Schoyen Collection,
        (Bathesda, MD: CDL Press, 2009), pp. 50-75

        Best,
        Victor Hurowitz
        BGU

        On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, frankclancy wrote:

        > I would like to know the oldest love poem, romantic poem - nothing salacious please. Hope someone might be able to help. Also an English translation would help.
        >
        > Thanks. Frank Clancy

      • George F Somsel
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 25, 2009
          Strictly translation:  Thorkild Jacobsen, _The Harps That Once ... (Sumerian Poetry in Translation)_.  New Haven & London: Yale University Press, 1987.  Part II consists of "Royal Love Songs."
           george
          gfsomsel

          … search for truth, hear truth,
          defend the truth till death.

          - Jan Hus
          _________

          ________________________________
          I would like to know the oldest love poem, romantic poem - nothing salacious please. Hope someone might be able to help. Also an English translation would help.

          Thanks. Frank Clancy

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 25, 2009
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 26, 2009
              Arutz Sheva [English] and a number of Hebrew-language sites have
              reported the "rare and surprising discovery" at Tel Dor, Israel of a small
              gem engraved with the head of Alexander the Great.
              The precious stone is less than a centimeter long and a half-centimeter
              wide.
              The texts of the Hebrew articles at these sites seems to come from a
              press release that I have not yet found.
              Among the Hebrew-language sites where the discovery has been reported
              are:
              http://www.inn.co.il/News/News.aspx/193513
              http://www.kan-naim.co.il/artical.asp?id=14756
              http://www.magazin.org.il/inner.asp?page=17&item=2038
              http://www.fresh.co.il/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=484942
              The Arutz Sheva [English] article may be read at
              http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/133097
              Large-size pictures of the miniature and of the site at the end of the
              2009 excavation season can be seen at
              http://uploaded.fresh.co.il/2009/08/25/12856773.jpg and
              http://uploaded.fresh.co.il/2009/08/25/37973243.jpg
              The URL for the small Arutz Sheva picture is
              http://www.israelnationalnews.com/static/pictures/resized/136-106/37/37182.jpg
              Joseph I. Lauer
              Brooklyn, New York
            • frankclancy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
                Dear Jack, Victor and all - thank you for your help. My niece asked me to read something at her wedding and I had some lovely ideas. However, my sister-in-law warned me to behave. As a result, my first ideas had to be discarded - alas!! My sister-in-law is a sweet person but she has a temper and I had no wish to watch certain softer parts of anatomy slowly dismembered! gad!! It is all very well for preachers to talk about "fear and trembling unto the Lord" but they never met my sister-in-law!!! I shall have to remember not to include the exact details of the original ritual. Once again - thanks.

                Frank Clancy
              • Jascha Kessler
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
                  why not come up a bit in time and read George Herbert's "Sweet day, so calm,
                  so fair, so bright...? if I recall it aright? Wedding of earth and sky,
                  etc. He's your poet...
                  Jascha Kessler

                  --
                  Jascha Kessler