Re: Love goddess at Susita

  • finckean
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2009
      Here's a translation into English:
      Three figurines of Aphrodite - 1500 years old - were dioscovered in the Golan. They are 30 cm tall and show the goddess covering her genitals with her right hand. The figurines were hidden, and Arthur Segal of Haifa, who led the digs, speculates that the Christians outlawed the cult, but its advocates - young girls awaiting proposal or awaiting pregnancy - clung to them. Also revealed in the place was a small auditorium used for musical performancdes for invited groups.
      Andrew Fincke