Re: Persia, Egypt, Babylon

  • Björn Lindborg
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Clark Whelton" <cwhelton@...> wrote:

      > I don't claim to know the answers. This is a complex puzzle and
      > I've changed my views on the subject several times. If I had to
      > bet, I'd say the problem stems from an inflated chronology that
      > gave rise to dark ages, intermediate periods and ad hoc explanations
      > for missing evidence. Whatever the cause, the Medes and Chaldeans
      > cling to a fragile existence as literary creations. If not for
      > Greek and Biblical texts, big chunks of the 1st millennium --
      > including much of the Achaemenid Empire -- would have been engulfed
      > by dark ages.

      > Clark Whelton
      > New York

      Previously, Liz Fried wrote:
      << Let's be clear on what a stratum is, first of all, and how they
      are detected in the archaeological record.

      A stratum is first of all a DESTRUCTION LAYER. Archaeologists dig
      through debris until they get to a floor. The debris between one
      floor and the next is a stratum. When a town is destroyed, and people
      debris, and build a new city on top of the old. That accounts for the
      tells. >>

      I believe that Liz Fried's description of what a stratum is and how
      they are detected in the archaeological record is an important part
      of the "complex puzzle".

      The Neo-Assyrian empire also left very few if any 'destruction
      layers' inside the Assyrian heartland until the last years of
      invasion and destruction. In their book 'The Bible Unearthed',
      Finkelstein and Silberman devote a whole chapter (Appendix) to
      explain why the long reign of Manasse is very poorly attested in
      the archaeological record of Palestine: it was a time of peace with
      Assyria, and there were no 'smoking ruins' producing destruction
      layers to help future archaeologists.

      The problem with solutions by removing alleged 'Dark Ages' in certain
      cultures is that those time periods are almost always attested in
      other parts of the world, so these reduced chronologies will destroy
      established synchronisms. Attempts to shorten the 'Dark Ages' of
      Greece and Anatolia disregard the fact that life went on with
      'business as usual' in the Hallstatt culture of central Europe, with
      continued trade with Iron Age Italy. You can't just remove those
      years that appear (almost) empty for the moment, because even those
      blank pages are likely to be written on, sooner or later. E.g., there
      was a Congress in Lisbon in 2006, "A New Dawn for the Dark Age?",
      devoted to a detailed study of the Iron Age chronology of
      Mediterranean 'Dark Age' cultures (BAR International Series 1871,
      2008).

      Björn Lindborg
    • Ariel L. Szczupak
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
        At 08:26 AM 8/5/2009, Clark Whelton wrote:
        >[...] If I had to bet, I'd say the problem stems from an inflated
        >chronology that gave rise to dark ages, intermediate periods and ad
        >hoc explanations for missing evidence. [...]

        Sounds familiar. Let's see ... here:

        >At 09:30 AM 2/27/2006, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
        >At 19:25 26/02/2006, Clark Whelton wrote:
        >[...]
        >Please not Heinsohn again :(

        :(

        Ariel.

        ---
        Ariel L. Szczupak
        AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
        POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
        Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
        ane.als@...
        ---
        http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
        http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/
      • David Hall
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
          I have not accomplished much in Persian period research, thus I incorrectly described this cylinder after I read a few web pages about it this morning.  Thanks for correcting me.  I have read Layard's writtings and one rare book published by Rassam.  Layard was a self-educated archaeologist and author who later won a seat in the British parliament.

          David Q. Hall

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
            And, if I may be allowed to add: Please not Velikovsky again!

            David Lorton
            Baltimore, MD