Sad news

  • winfriedorthmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2009
      I want to let the community know that on July 19th Barthel Hrouda, Professor em. of Near Eastern Archaeology, passed away in Germering near Munich. Barthel Hrouda belonged to the first generation of students of the late Prof. Anton Moortgat in Berlin. After the retirement of Anton Moortgat he became his successor on the chair for Near Eastern Archaeology in Berlin. Later he changed to the newly created chair of Near Eastern Archaeology at Munich University. He also was a prominent member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences. Among his important publications are "Die Kulturgeschichte des Assyrischen Flachbildes" and the volume "Vorderasien I" in the "Handbuch der Archäologie". Between 1973 and 1989 Prof. Hrouda directed a number of excavation campaigns at Isin in Mesopotamia.