Re: [ANE-2] Exile and return -- messy dating question thread

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2009
      At 04:59 PM 7/24/2009, Graham Hagens wrote:

      >--- On Wed, 7/22/09, Ariel L. Szczupak
      ><<mailto:ane.als%40gmail.com>ane.als@...> wrote:
      >
      > >I can't figure out what the basic claim is in this messy thread,
      > >what is it that was supposed to have been written, or not, at what time
      >
      >I think this messy thread was started by me.
      >I had been wondering whether the documented decline in prophesy
      >could be used to date the composition of the Torah.
      >Didn't work very well.

      To date things you need contemporary evidence. Period. Even C14
      dating cannot be done without some reference data which is dated
      using other means (used to calibrate the computations, to anchor the
      C14 decay functions to real dates). Without contemporary evidence you
      are in the realm of speculation. [It means e.g. that DNA dating is speculative]

      But there's nothing wrong with educated, critical speculation.

      Imagine the people in a bar discussing next day's game. They examine
      every aspect in detail, evaluating all the factors. Will it help them
      predict the outcome of the game? Not really, or else bookies would be
      out of work.

      But they'll understand the game better and when, if, they'll watch
      the game they'll be able to experience it more fully. E.g. if the
      discussion led to an awareness of some player's weaknesses, watching
      him overcome these weaknesses will be a richer, more understanding
      experience (though not necessarily more enjoyable - depends on which
      team he plays ...)

      Another example of the pitfalls of applying "common sense" thinking
      in cases of evidence anorexia:

      Assume that at some point after Shakespeare all the contemporary
      evidence about Ceasar's murder was lost and the only remaining text
      on the subject is Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar and some claims that
      Shakespeare based himself on older texts.

      What is more reasonable to assume? A conspiracy & a murder in which
      Brutus participates or e.g. Ceasar falling with an epileptic fit,
      wounding himself and dying, with onlookers mistaking the event for a
      stabbing? Does common sense lead one to expect Brutus' betrayal or to
      assume a literary explanation for the post-murder politics? Which
      theory would become "mainstream"?

      Nothing wrong in better understanding the prophets, on the contrary,
      but for dating - support your local field archeologist! :)

      >Graham Hagens

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...
      ---
      http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
      http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/