[ANE-2] Discovery in Egypt

  • Antonio Lombatti
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2009
      Egyptian archaeologists digging near the Suez Canal have discovered the remains of what is believed to be the largest fortress in the eastern Delta, Egypt's Minister of Culture, Farouk Hosni, announced [...] The discovery shouldn't come as a surprise; Tell Dafna was long known to be a strategic outpost against Egypt's enemies. King Ramesses II of the 19th Dynasty (1279-1212 B.C.) chose the site to erect a fortress. King Psammetichus I, the first ruler of the 26th Dynasty (664-625 B.C.), later established a garrison of foreign mercenaries to defend the eastern borders of Egypt from invaders. Dating to the 7th century B.C., the foundations unearthed by the archaeologists most likely belonged to Psammetichus I's fortified garrison town.

      Details and photo here:
      http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/07/14/egypt-fortress-city.html

      Antonio Lombatti

      http://www.antoniolombatti.it