Re: [ANE-2] Exile and return -- was the First Historians

  • George Athas
    Message 1 of 132 , Jul 2 12:25 AM
      Sorry to weigh into this at such a late point, but I've been travelling.

      Diana Edelman's reconstruction of chronology isn't convincing. There are a number of seemingly random assignments of people to particular periods which she does not justify. That is, there are some figures who could just as easily be placed in the previous or subsequent generation. From the investigations I've conducting into the chronology, the only thing unusual in the biblical chronology is that one man, Meshullam (brother of Zechariah) had to live for a very long time, almost 100 years. If that is possible, and I don't really think it's all that unusual, then the chronology as presented in the biblical accounts works.

      Regards,

      GEORGE ATHAS
      www.moore.edu.au

      ________________________________
      From: Lisbeth Fried <lizfried@...>
      Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 04:29:08 +1000
      To: ANE-2 <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Exile and return -- was the First Historians

      Dear NP,

      Diana's redating has been thoroughly investigated in numerous reviews (cf
      Klein in JBL) and not found convincing. I also don't find her arguments
      convincing at all. Certainly the archaeology doesn't find a massive return
      in at the end of the 6th century, but rather a long slow migration. Judah
      didn't reach its pre-destruction population levels until the Hellenistic
      period. That said, Lipschits finds archaeological evidence that Jerusalem
      began to be rebuilt at the end of the 6th century, and consisted at that
      time of a rebuilt temple and a small population of temple servants.

      Liz Fried

      _____

    • frankclancy
      Message 132 of 132 , Jul 24 2:12 PM
        A case of Heineken - who cares? But a case of Guiness and I would purchase a new spade!! Gad!! Frank Clancy