First Exodus?

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2009
      There were Elephantine Papyri from the Persian Empire times (fifth cent. B.C.) from a Jewish colony on Elephantine Island, Egypt indicating the Passover was being observed.

      I have read the term Goshen that was used to describe a geographical location in the Nile delta in the book of Exodus is a Persian era word.  This might support the theory that these writings may have been edited and codified during the time of Ezra or another of the post-exilic group, however earlier documents may or may not have existed.

      David Q. Hall