Jar handle of Menachem again

  • Peter van der Veen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
      Dear colleagues (for those interested in the subject - its been quiet around ANE-2 lately),

      It was nice to see that my update on the “Menachem” jar handle was reposted on the Jim West Blog where there was some discussion on the subject since its first announcement.

      I did some further checking yesterday and rediscoved an old article by N. Avigad on an unprovenanced (but probably genuine) jar handle which also is most likely related to the Gibeon jar handles. His article: “Two Hebrew Inscriptions on Wine-Jars”, Israel Exploration Journal 22:1 (1972), 1-9.

      Avigad’s specimen (see esp. p. 6) mentions the toponym haMozah followed by a word divider and then the personal name Shu'al. Again very similar to the "Menahem" jar handle which I suggest should be read [...]l (= toponym) . (=word divider) + personal name Nahum. I maintain that this reading makes good sense of the available evidence.

      Best wishes
      Peter van der Veen, PhD
    • Charles E. Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9 6:29 AM
        The Persepolis Fortification Archive Project Annual Report 2009-2010 has been published online. See:
        http://tinyurl.com/PFA200910

        -Chuck Jones-