Eisenbrauns June sale

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1 12:17 PM
      Eisenbrauns June sale features a selection of Egyptology, Hittite,
      Akkadian, and Persian titles. How can that be? Simple! We are offering a
      selection of NINO (Netherlands Institute for the Near East) titles at
      savings ranging from 20-33%
      http://www.eisenbrauns.com/pages/SPECIAL

      Enjoy!
      James
      ________________________________
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax: 574-269-6788
    • James Spinti
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 10:24 AM
        I'm sure list members will be interested in Eisenbrauns June sale:

        June 2012 Web Sale: Save 30–50% on selected titles from the Neo-Assyrian Text Corpus Project

        Summer! The time for kings to go to war! I can almost see the Neo-Assyrian king now, riding in his chariot in pursuit of glory for himself and his god. Eisenbrauns is celebrating the beginning of summer by running discounts up to 50% on selected titles from the Neo-Assyrian Text Corpus Project. It isn't a chariot, but you might need one to carry all these great books.

        Enjoy!
        James
        ________________________________
        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax: 574-269-6788
      • Dr. Bruce K. Gardner
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1 12:06 PM
          (My apologies to the Moderators for failing to put a title on this posting when I sent it to them the first time.)

          In a message dated 01/06/2012 18:25:04 GMT Daylight Time, jspinti@... writes:
          [snipped] Summer! The time for kings to go to war! I can almost see the Neo-Assyrian king now, riding in his chariot in pursuit of glory for himself and his god.

          I hope it will not be thought that I miss James Spinti's point, nor lack a sense of humour nor aim frivolously to complicate his legitimate exhortation, if I note that James has raised an interesting point with his reference.

          The time when kings go to war (2Sam 11:1 cf. 1Chron 20:1) was not, as I understand it, the summer but the "teshuvat hashanah", or "turning of the year", which is usually associated with spring or autumn/fall, as the months in which the equinoxes fell were (and still are) the focus of year-counting (spring - Abib / Nisan) and the new year (autumn /Fall - Ethanim / TIshri), with their associated festivals of Pesach and Succoth.

          I read that the targum of 1Chron 20:1 adds a specification of Nisan but, as there is ever an ambiguity about the equinoxes in the Hebrew Bible and in Jewish tradition - represented by the apparent illogicality of having New Year in month seven, as counted from the spring, - some might argue for an autumnal interpretation.

          Those more learned than I may know of ANE references to summer as war-time. I would be interested to hear, if so - also if list members have examined "teshuvat hashanah" and have suggestions to offer about it.

          I suspect James uses the idea metaphorically, of course, but the issue is nonetheless a valid focus in itself.

          Thank you, in advance.

          Bruce Gardner.
          Dr. Bruce Gardner (Rtd.)
          Aberdeen