Re: [ANE-2] a new method to date pottery

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2009
      Could you explain how ceramics react "chemically" after being removed
      from the kiln? Ceramics can certainly absorb moisture from the air but I
      am at a loss to know under what conditions they react chemically under
      normal conditions. Consider that clay crucibles were used for molten
      metal which might be considered an extreme condition in the use of clay.

      Beatrice Hopkinson,
      Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
      Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
      President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust
      Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
      (beahopkinson@...)

      jwest@...