Re: molten sea and apsu

  • Marc Cooper
    Message 1 of 10 , May 24, 2009
      To add a bit to Victor's Akkadian material, the term Apsu appears four times in Ur III administrative texts to my knowledge. Two references are to the "Basin of Enlil and Ninlil" though the texts have little to say about their use. Another mentions sacrifices of several animals at the Apsu of Nanna. The other reference is in Phillips 13. There the Apsu is part of furnishings belonging to the king for a royal drinking party. The tablet gives no hint as to its use, but the reference is at the end of the items belonging to the king, immediately after his table, chair, and bed.

      Marc Cooper
      Missouri State University