Re: [ANE-2] molten sea and apsu

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2009
      According to an old tongue-in-cheek definition I once heard an "ex" is a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure so I guess that qualifies me.  One thing which has largely been overlooked in the commentaries is the throne room vision in Revelation 4.  There mention is made of a "sea of crystal" as well as a rainbow forming a kind of nimbus about "the one seated on the throne."  While the Greek word ἶρις IRIS is used rather than τόξον TOCON which the LXX uses for the bow in the Flood narrative, I would contend that this is due to the use of τόξον TOCON to describe the weapon of the 1st of the 4 horsemen in chapter 6.  The passage would thus give an deluvian setting to the scene.  In the Flood narrative it speaks of the "windows of heaven" being opened so that the waters which are above the רָקִיעַ RfQiYa( which is created in Gen 1 to divide the waters above the רָקִיעַ RfQia( from those below.  This
      firmament is conceived as an inverted beaten metal bowl.  The waters which are divided by this are the primieval ocean (APSU).

      (1) When on high no name was given to heaven,
      Nor below was the netherworld called by name,
      Primeval Apsu was their progenitor,
      And matrix–Tiamat was she who bore them all,
      (5) They were mingling their waters together,
      No cane brake was intertwined nor thicket matted close.

      Hallo, W. W., & Younger, K. L. (1997). The context of Scripture (391). Leiden; New York: Brill.
       george
      gfsomsel

      … search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , May 21, 2009
        There was a great stone cistern on the acropolis of
        Amathus, in Kypros. It measured 1,85 metres in height
        and 24 tons in weight, made from a single limestone.
        It has been usurped to the Louvre since 1867.

        A photograph I had of it was lost in the last Great
        Computer Dilluge. As I was looking for another, I came
        across this:

        "...In any case, the Solomonic "bronze sea" and the
        Amathus basin in the Musee du Louvre must be related to
        the fertility cult, as strongly suggested by the..."

        Anthony BONANNO,
        Archaeology and fertility cult in the ancient
        Mediterranean: papers presented at the First
        International Conference on Archaeology of the Ancient
        Mediterranean, the University of Malta, 2-5 September 1985
        illustrated edition
        John Benjamins Publishing Company, 1986
        ISBN 9060322886, 9789060322888
        356 pp.

        http://books.google.com/books?id=uuKfXsvfr2YC&pg=PA209&lpg=PA209&dq=amathus+large+vessel&source=bl&ots=4zmH3GQUAT&sig=yu016IBh_FXIwx9XJmH5SAi3Cjs&hl=el&ei=PcIVSoHHENKhjAeo7OT0DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

        http://tinyurl.com/ouep2p

        So, my memory's association of the Amathus cistern with
        the molten sea of the temple shouldn't be very arbitrary.

        _______________________
        Lampros F. Kallenos
        Idalion, Lefkosia
        Kypros
      • victor avigdor hurowitz
        Message 3 of 10 , May 21, 2009
          If you have a look at CAD s.v. apsu you will find that the third
          definition is "water basin in a temple". There is also an article in the
          end notes by Burrows, Orientalia n.s. 1 which if I recall properly
          discusses this. Unfortunately the texts are very few. In the
          archaeological record, there is a basin found at Assur which was
          reconstructed and is in the Berlin Museum which is sqare basin with
          apkallu figures at the four corners and the middle of each side. They are
          holding jugs with water flowing out of them. I would call this an abzu and
          have compared it with Solomon's Yam in some of my discussions of Solomon's
          temple. I think it is also discussed in Zweickel's book on Solomon's
          Temple. Have a look at V. A. Hurowitz, "YHWH's Exalted House - Aspects of
          the Design and Symbolism of Solomon's Temple" in J. Day (ed.) Temple and
          Worship in Biblical Israel (Sheffield 2005) pp. 63-110 esp. 78-81 for
          this, other parallels, and the mythological background of the
          symbolism.
          Victor Hurowitz
          BGU

          On Wed, 20 May 2009, Carla Sulzbach wrote:

          > Dear list experts,
          >
          > It has been suggested by some scholars that the "molten sea" described in I Kings 7:23-26 bears a connection with the concept of apsu, the primeval ocean of Mesopotamian lore. Moreover, it is claimed that a similar gigantic basin was to be found as part of the appurtenances of Mesopotamian temples. Is this so and, if so, are there any specific studies or primary references to support this?
          >
          > Thanking you for your input,
          >
          > Carla Sulzbach
          > McGill University

        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 10 , May 22, 2009
            Thank you, Victor. I had totally forgotten Sennacherib's big stone
            "pond." It is a fascinating sculpture, and a bit eccentric as much of
            Sennacherib's art was. I guess it goes to show how some words carry
            unintended meaning. I had always considered basins, even big ones, as
            roundish vessels, but that clearly is not the only meaning.

            Trudy Kawami

            ________________________________

[...]

            easy 1-click access

            to your groups.

            Yahoo! Groups

            Start a group
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/start;_ylc=X3oDMTJwbTNkNTFzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9w
            AzMEZ3JwSWQDMTcyMzU1MTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODQxNDY3BHNlYwNuY21vZARzbGsDZ3Jv
            dXBzMgRzdGltZQMxMjQyOTYyMDky>

            in 3 easy steps.

            Connect with others.

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=17235518/grpspId=1705841467/
            msgId=10678/stime=1242962092/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

          • carla sulzbach
            Message 5 of 10 , May 22, 2009
              Many thanks to everyone who responded - these are exactly the references I was hoping for!

              Carla Sulzbach

              McGill University
            • victor avigdor hurowitz
              Message 6 of 10 , May 23, 2009
                Actually, I don't know what the native designation of this basin is. I
                said that "I would call it an abzu" and that's because to the clear
                iconography related to Enki/Ea. There's an inscription on the basin but
                it's very poorly
                preserved. But it is reasonable to assume that it includes the name of the
                object upon which it is inscribed. My museum catalogue has a nice picture
                of it and it is clear that the inscription covered the entire
                object, making it a rather lengthy text. But most of the piece is in fact
                restored so the signs preserved are only sporadic. The catalogue gives
                from the inscription only "Sanherib, Konig der Gasamtheit, Konig des
                Landes Assur..." which isn't very helpful. Maybe if you check Frahm,
                Sennacherib you can find the text and an attempted reconstruction. Can
                Robert fill us in on this?
                Best,
                victor hurowitz
                BGU

                Message 7 of 10 , May 23, 2009
                  The Prophet of Consolation
                  The Prophet, His Time, His Book and His Teaching

                  The Hebrew University, Jerusalem
                  The Faculty of Humanities
                  The Mandel Institute for Jewish Studies

                  and

                  Yad Ben-Zvi

                  Invite you to an Evening of Study

                  Marking the Publication of

                  Shalom Paul
                  Isaiah 40-66
                  Miqra Le-Yisrael Commentary Series

                  Program

                  Professor Sarah Japhet, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Chair

                  Professor Shmuel Ahituv, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Series Editor
                  The Miqra Le-Yisrael Commentary Series

                  Professor Yair Hoffmann, Tel-Aviv University
                  Second or Third Isaiah?

                  Dr. Hagit Taragan, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
                  Rhetorical and Stylistic Aspects in Shalom Pauls Commentary to Isaiah
                  40-66

                  Professor Rimon Kasher, Bar-Ilan University
                  Second Isaiah Methodological Aspects

                  Professor Shalom Paul, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem
                  Response

                  Monday, 16 Sivan, 5769
                  19:30 PM

                  Yad Ben-Zvi
                  Rehov Abravanel 12
                  Jerusalem
                • Marc Cooper
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 24, 2009
                    To add a bit to Victor's Akkadian material, the term Apsu appears four times in Ur III administrative texts to my knowledge. Two references are to the "Basin of Enlil and Ninlil" though the texts have little to say about their use. Another mentions sacrifices of several animals at the Apsu of Nanna. The other reference is in Phillips 13. There the Apsu is part of furnishings belonging to the king for a royal drinking party. The tablet gives no hint as to its use, but the reference is at the end of the items belonging to the king, immediately after his table, chair, and bed.

                    Marc Cooper
                    Missouri State University