Re: [ANE-2] Re: [biblical-studies] Inscribed Mt. of Olives Jug Handle

  • Peter van der Veen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2009
      Dear Itzhaq,

      Indeed the time span of the writing for the jar handle as given in the news paper article is clearly incomprehensible. The script (as George Athas correctly noted) appears to have been incised into the wet clay and dates approximately to the 9th-6th century (probably even more narrowly to the 8th-7th century BC, but again fully agreed with George we really need better photographs! and better still the actual thing itself).

      Best wishes
      Peter van der Veen

      -------- Original-Nachricht --------
      > Datum: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:20:21 +1000
      > Von: George Athas <george.athas@...>
      > An: "biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com" <biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com>, ANE-2 <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
      > Betreff: [ANE-2] Re: [biblical-studies] Inscribed Mt. of Olives Jug Handle

      > First impressions: The writing looks 9th to 6th century BC. Bear in mind
      > it's on clay, not stone. There also appears to be a short vertical stroke
      > between the initial mem and nun. It would be interesting to see what is made
      > of this.
      >
      > Of course, you can never make any conclusions based on a photo or drawing.
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > GEORGE ATHAS
      > Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
      > www.moore.edu.au

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2009