Re: [ANE-2] Sumerian question

  • Michael F. Lane
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2009
      Thanks, Bob!

      Perhaps I shouldn't have given up so soon. I am, however, working to a
      self-imposed deadline on a bigger project.

      > The formula x lá y means x minus y. The quantity x will always be an even
      > tens number (10, 20, 30, etc.) and y will normally be 1 or 2. It's a
      > shortcut to avoid writing 8 or 9 little vertical wedges.

      Believe it or not, its being an abbreviation had crossed my mind. I made
      a mental note to learn more about the rendering of Sumerian numerals and
      quantities of various commodities.

      > The expression
      > ma$ usually refers to interest (Akk. cibtu) and is usually written má$,
      > but can be written with ma$. The expression má$-a-$a3-ga is common in Ur
      > III and earlier texts. See CAD Tsade, 158-163 s.v. cibtu A and especially
      > the bibliography at the end of the article.

      Thanks for the citation!

      >> 2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??
      >
      > Yes. Basically "(it) has gone out".

      Ah. I'll work more on that one after coffee.

      All very best,

      Michael Lane

      > Bob Whiting
      > whiting@...

      Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
      Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
      Ancient Studies Department
      Fine Arts Building, Room 452
      1000 Hilltop Circle
      Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
      Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
    • Michael F. Lane
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9, 2009
        Many thanks to the several persons who replied to question about Sumerian!

        Bob, the numbers make sense, now that I recognize that udu is synonymous
        in this context with udu-nita.

        John, thanks for informing me that e- in e-ta-e3 is equivalent to i3-!

        I think I've got it all figured out now -- but I'm please to know that so
        many on this list are willing to share their expertise, and I may turn to
        your good grace again.

        All very best,

        Michael Lane
        Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

        --
        Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
        Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
        Ancient Studies Department
        Fine Arts Building, Room 452
        1000 Hilltop Circle
        Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
        Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
      • Andrés Piquer Otero
        Message 3 of 12 , May 21, 2010
          Dear ANErs,

          I am pleased to forward the program of the incoming symposium After
          Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts: The Historical Books,
          to be celebrated at the University of Alcalá (Madrid), and organized
          by the Universities of Alcalá, Complutense de Madrid and Katholieke
          Universiteit Leuven May 31st-June 2nd 2010.

          I send a pasted text version, if any of you is interested, I may
          forward the .pdf program.

          Regards, and apologies for cross-postings,

          Andrés Piquer Otero
          Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos
          Facultad de Filología
          Universidad Complutense de Madrid

          Symposium After Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts
          The Historical Books
          Universidad de AlcalЗ,
          Madrid, May 31st – June 2nd 2010

          Program
          May 31st

          9.00 Presentation

          Session A: Theological Tendencies – Historical Linguistics –
          Textual and Literary Criticism (Chair: E. Ulrich)

          9.15 Emanuel Tov, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, “Theological
          Tendencies in the Masoretic Text of Samuel ”
          9.50 Jan Joosten, UniversitО de Strasbourg, “Textual Developments
          and Historical Linguistics”
          10.25 Break
          10.45 Zipora Talshir, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, “Textual
          Criticism at the Service of Literary Criticism and the Question of an
          Eclectic Edition of the Hebrew Bible”
          11.20 Discussion

          Tour of the University (Colegio Mayor de San Ildefonso)

          Session B: The Books of Samuel (Chair: F. GarcТa MartТnez)

          15.00 Eugene Ulrich, University of Notre Dame, “David, the Plague,
          and the Angel: 2 Samuel 24 Revisited”
          15.35 Anneli Aejmelaeus, University of Helsinki, “What Rahlfs Could
          not Know: 1 Samuel 14:4-5 in the Old Greek.”
          16.10 Break
          16.30 Philippe Hugo, UniversitО de Fribourg, “Old and New Editions
          in the Account of the KingЂs Return (2 Sam 19,10-16)”
          17.05 Kristin de Troyer, University of St. Andrews, “Bathsheba and
          Nathan: A Closer Look at their Characterizations in MT, Kaige and the
          Antiochian Text”
          17.40 Discussion

          June 1st

          Session C: The Books of Joshua and Judges (Chair: A. Aejmelaeus)

          9.00 Florentino GarcТa MartТnez, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven,
          “Light on the Joshua Books from the Dead Sea Scrolls”
          9.35 Natalio FernЗndez Marcos, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones
          CientТficas, Madrid, “The B-text of Judges: Kaige-Revision and
          beyond”
          10.10 Break
          10.40 Hans Ausloos & Benedicte Lemmelijn, Katholieke Universiteit
          Leuven, “Characterising the LXX Translation of Judges on the Basis of
          Content-Related Criteria. Confronting the Greek Rendering of Hebrew
          Absolute Hapax Legomena and Hebrew Aetiologies” 11.15 Discussion

          Session D: The Books of Kings (Chair: A. Schenker)
          15.00 Pablo Torijano Morales, “Textual Criticism and the Text-
          Critical Edition of IV Regnorum. The Case of 17:2-6”
          15.35 Julio Trebolle Barrera, “Textual Pluralism, Composition and
          Redaction in the Books of Kings (2 Kgs 17:2-23 MT, LXX, OL)”
          16.10 AndrОs Piquer Otero, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, “What
          Text to Edit? The Oxford Hebrew Bible Edition of 2Kgs 17”
          16.45 Discussion

          Tour of AlcalЗ

          June 2nd

          Session E: The Books of Kings (Chair: E. Tov)
          9.00 Timothy M. Law, Oxford University, “Do 'the Three' Give Any
          Insight into the Textual History of the Books of Kings?”
          9.35 Johan Lust, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, “Solomon's Temple
          According to 1Kgs 6:1-14 in Hebrew and in Greek”
          10.10 Break
          10.40 Adrian Schenker, UniversitО de Fribourg, “What do Scribes, and
          What do Editors do? The Hebrew Text of the Masoretes, the Old Greek
          Bible and the Alexandrian Philological Ekdoseis of the 4th and 3d
          centuries B.C. in Light of 2 Kings 1”
          11.15 Discussion
          12.30 Closing Session

          Symposium organized by:
          Universidad Complutense de Madrid
          Universidad de AlcalЗ de Henares
          Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

          Organizing Committee:
          Pablo Torijano Morales, AndrОs Piquer Otero and Julio Trebolle
          Barrera, Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos, Universidad
          Complutense de Madrid
          Hans Ausloos, BenОdicte Lemmelijn and Florentino GarcТa MartТnez,
          Center for Septuagint Studies and Textual Criticism, Katholieke
          Universiteit Leuven

          Sessions held at Room 3M
          Rectorado, Colegio de San Ildefonso
          Plaza de San Diego s/n