Re: [ANE-2] Sumerian question

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2009
      On Thu, 7 May 2009, Michael F. Lane wrote:

      <snip>
      > 1. What is the significance of the formula /x lá y ma$/, where x and y
      > are numerals, the always "1" in the text in question. I'm guessing this
      > has to do with (?) taxation on a cultivated field (/ma$-a$a5-ga-kam/).

      The formula x lá y means x minus y. The quantity x will always be an even
      tens number (10, 20, 30, etc.) and y will normally be 1 or 2. It's a
      shortcut to avoid writing 8 or 9 little vertical wedges. The expression
      ma$ usually refers to interest (Akk. cibtu) and is usually written má$,
      but can be written with ma$. The expression má$-a-$a3-ga is common in Ur
      III and earlier texts. See CAD Tsade, 158-163 s.v. cibtu A and especially
      the bibliography at the end of the article.

      > 2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??

      Yes. Basically "(it) has gone out".

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...
    • Michael F. Lane
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2009
        Thanks, Bob!

        Perhaps I shouldn't have given up so soon. I am, however, working to a
        self-imposed deadline on a bigger project.

        > The formula x lá y means x minus y. The quantity x will always be an even
        > tens number (10, 20, 30, etc.) and y will normally be 1 or 2. It's a
        > shortcut to avoid writing 8 or 9 little vertical wedges.

        Believe it or not, its being an abbreviation had crossed my mind. I made
        a mental note to learn more about the rendering of Sumerian numerals and
        quantities of various commodities.

        > The expression
        > ma$ usually refers to interest (Akk. cibtu) and is usually written má$,
        > but can be written with ma$. The expression má$-a-$a3-ga is common in Ur
        > III and earlier texts. See CAD Tsade, 158-163 s.v. cibtu A and especially
        > the bibliography at the end of the article.

        Thanks for the citation!

        >> 2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??
        >
        > Yes. Basically "(it) has gone out".

        Ah. I'll work more on that one after coffee.

        All very best,

        Michael Lane

        > Bob Whiting
        > whiting@...

        Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
        Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
        Ancient Studies Department
        Fine Arts Building, Room 452
        1000 Hilltop Circle
        Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
        Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
      • Michael F. Lane
        Message 3 of 12 , May 9, 2009
          Many thanks to the several persons who replied to question about Sumerian!

          Bob, the numbers make sense, now that I recognize that udu is synonymous
          in this context with udu-nita.

          John, thanks for informing me that e- in e-ta-e3 is equivalent to i3-!

          I think I've got it all figured out now -- but I'm please to know that so
          many on this list are willing to share their expertise, and I may turn to
          your good grace again.

          All very best,

          Michael Lane
          Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

          --
          Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
          Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
          Ancient Studies Department
          Fine Arts Building, Room 452
          1000 Hilltop Circle
          Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
          Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
        • Andrés Piquer Otero
          Message 4 of 12 , May 21, 2010
            Dear ANErs,

            I am pleased to forward the program of the incoming symposium After
            Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts: The Historical Books,
            to be celebrated at the University of Alcalá (Madrid), and organized
            by the Universities of Alcalá, Complutense de Madrid and Katholieke
            Universiteit Leuven May 31st-June 2nd 2010.

            I send a pasted text version, if any of you is interested, I may
            forward the .pdf program.

            Regards, and apologies for cross-postings,

            Andrés Piquer Otero
            Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos
            Facultad de Filología
            Universidad Complutense de Madrid

            Symposium After Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts
            The Historical Books
            Universidad de AlcalЗ,
            Madrid, May 31st – June 2nd 2010

            Program
            May 31st

            9.00 Presentation

            Session A: Theological Tendencies – Historical Linguistics –
            Textual and Literary Criticism (Chair: E. Ulrich)

            9.15 Emanuel Tov, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, “Theological
            Tendencies in the Masoretic Text of Samuel ”
            9.50 Jan Joosten, UniversitО de Strasbourg, “Textual Developments
            and Historical Linguistics”
            10.25 Break
            10.45 Zipora Talshir, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, “Textual
            Criticism at the Service of Literary Criticism and the Question of an
            Eclectic Edition of the Hebrew Bible”
            11.20 Discussion

            Tour of the University (Colegio Mayor de San Ildefonso)

            Session B: The Books of Samuel (Chair: F. GarcТa MartТnez)

            15.00 Eugene Ulrich, University of Notre Dame, “David, the Plague,
            and the Angel: 2 Samuel 24 Revisited”
            15.35 Anneli Aejmelaeus, University of Helsinki, “What Rahlfs Could
            not Know: 1 Samuel 14:4-5 in the Old Greek.”
            16.10 Break
            16.30 Philippe Hugo, UniversitО de Fribourg, “Old and New Editions
            in the Account of the KingЂs Return (2 Sam 19,10-16)”
            17.05 Kristin de Troyer, University of St. Andrews, “Bathsheba and
            Nathan: A Closer Look at their Characterizations in MT, Kaige and the
            Antiochian Text”
            17.40 Discussion

            June 1st

            Session C: The Books of Joshua and Judges (Chair: A. Aejmelaeus)

            9.00 Florentino GarcТa MartТnez, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven,
            “Light on the Joshua Books from the Dead Sea Scrolls”
            9.35 Natalio FernЗndez Marcos, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones
            CientТficas, Madrid, “The B-text of Judges: Kaige-Revision and
            beyond”
            10.10 Break
            10.40 Hans Ausloos & Benedicte Lemmelijn, Katholieke Universiteit
            Leuven, “Characterising the LXX Translation of Judges on the Basis of
            Content-Related Criteria. Confronting the Greek Rendering of Hebrew
            Absolute Hapax Legomena and Hebrew Aetiologies” 11.15 Discussion

            Session D: The Books of Kings (Chair: A. Schenker)
            15.00 Pablo Torijano Morales, “Textual Criticism and the Text-
            Critical Edition of IV Regnorum. The Case of 17:2-6”
            15.35 Julio Trebolle Barrera, “Textual Pluralism, Composition and
            Redaction in the Books of Kings (2 Kgs 17:2-23 MT, LXX, OL)”
            16.10 AndrОs Piquer Otero, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, “What
            Text to Edit? The Oxford Hebrew Bible Edition of 2Kgs 17”
            16.45 Discussion

            Tour of AlcalЗ

            June 2nd

            Session E: The Books of Kings (Chair: E. Tov)
            9.00 Timothy M. Law, Oxford University, “Do 'the Three' Give Any
            Insight into the Textual History of the Books of Kings?”
            9.35 Johan Lust, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, “Solomon's Temple
            According to 1Kgs 6:1-14 in Hebrew and in Greek”
            10.10 Break
            10.40 Adrian Schenker, UniversitО de Fribourg, “What do Scribes, and
            What do Editors do? The Hebrew Text of the Masoretes, the Old Greek
            Bible and the Alexandrian Philological Ekdoseis of the 4th and 3d
            centuries B.C. in Light of 2 Kings 1”
            11.15 Discussion
            12.30 Closing Session

            Symposium organized by:
            Universidad Complutense de Madrid
            Universidad de AlcalЗ de Henares
            Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

            Organizing Committee:
            Pablo Torijano Morales, AndrОs Piquer Otero and Julio Trebolle
            Barrera, Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos, Universidad
            Complutense de Madrid
            Hans Ausloos, BenОdicte Lemmelijn and Florentino GarcТa MartТnez,
            Center for Septuagint Studies and Textual Criticism, Katholieke
            Universiteit Leuven

            Sessions held at Room 3M
            Rectorado, Colegio de San Ildefonso
            Plaza de San Diego s/n