Re: Sinai rock drawings and inscriptions

  • Brian Colless
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2009
      Trudy, thank you for your helpful response. I am assuming that you are
      talking about the photograph of the rock-face between Serabit and
      Sharm el-Sheikh.

      The other two, from Timna Mine 25, are described as 'engraving 1 and
      2' by Rothenberg; the second is incised into the rock with a sharp
      point, he says, and many of its lines were filled in with red and
      white colour, and he had never known anything like it in his life,
      except in Egyptian wall-paintings; it includes Egyptian chariots.

      On 8/05/2009, at 3:37 AM, Trudy Kawami wrote:

      <The general term for these kinds of images is "petroglyphs." >
      This is the first word that came into my head, but I thought it only
      applied to a single character, not a complete picture.

      <They are
      well documented throughout Western & Central Asia (& parts of North
      America and South Africa) and are associated with nomadic hunters and
      pastoralists. Recent work further associates them with various forms of
      shamanism, vision quests, and related spiritual activities.>

      In southern Africa the artists were under the influence of
      hallucinogens (I once heard)?

      And the hunters sat there looking at the picture-show expecting that
      by magic the things portrayed in the images would take place
      successfully when they went outside?

      *** What about the 'kites' I mentioned, associated with pictures/

      < They appear
      to have functioned in a totally different way from inscrptions, that is
      writing. The petroglyphs occur only on certain types of limestone and
      are produced by "pecking", that is pounding the rock surface to destroy
      the patina and expose the lighter-colored stone beneath. There is also a
      difference in texture between the rock face and the pecked areas that
      can affect the appearance of the petroglyphs in different lighting
      conditions. The rock patina takes many thousands of years to produce and
      the petroglyphs remain visible for thousands as well.>

      <"Drawings" >
      I used that word non-technically

      <& "engravings" >
      Rothenberg's drawing (!) of the picture (his word) of 'engraving 2'
      has a legend indicating: carved, carved & red, carved & grey, pecked,
      engraved, red colour only.

      <have very specific meanings and the terms do not apply here>.

      But Beno's careful distinctions have validity?

      Brian Colless

      It is our 50th wedding anniversary here (Friday) but we are having the
      celebrations tomorrow.