Sumerian question

  • Michael F. Lane
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7 4:57 PM
      Dear all,

      I am trying to translate some Sumerian with little more than a copy of
      Thomsen, a dictionary, and a fair idea of how a split-ergative language
      should behave.

      I'm particularly interested in the form and content of a text from Lagash
      that I think is usually cited as VS 14/1 35, an account of sheep and
      goats, some of which are destined for a festival called /ezem-Dba-U2/ --
      if I've got the right end of the stick.

      It's late, I'm feeling lazy, and I would like an answer soon for some
      research on writing I'm doing, so I'm hoping that one of you may be able
      to help me with two things that are currently defying me:

      1. What is the significance of the formula /x lá y ma$/, where x and y
      are numerals, the always "1" in the text in question. I'm guessing this
      has to do with (?) taxation on a cultivated field (/ma$-a$a5-ga-kam/).

      2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??

      I would be much obliged.

      All best,

      Michael Lane
      Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

      --
      Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
      Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8 12:51 AM
        On Thu, 7 May 2009, Michael F. Lane wrote:

        <snip>
        > 1. What is the significance of the formula /x lá y ma$/, where x and y
        > are numerals, the always "1" in the text in question. I'm guessing this
        > has to do with (?) taxation on a cultivated field (/ma$-a$a5-ga-kam/).

        The formula x lá y means x minus y. The quantity x will always be an even
        tens number (10, 20, 30, etc.) and y will normally be 1 or 2. It's a
        shortcut to avoid writing 8 or 9 little vertical wedges. The expression
        ma$ usually refers to interest (Akk. cibtu) and is usually written má$,
        but can be written with ma$. The expression má$-a-$a3-ga is common in Ur
        III and earlier texts. See CAD Tsade, 158-163 s.v. cibtu A and especially
        the bibliography at the end of the article.

        > 2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??

        Yes. Basically "(it) has gone out".

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...
      • Michael F. Lane
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8 3:59 AM
          Thanks, Bob!

          Perhaps I shouldn't have given up so soon. I am, however, working to a
          self-imposed deadline on a bigger project.

          > The formula x lá y means x minus y. The quantity x will always be an even
          > tens number (10, 20, 30, etc.) and y will normally be 1 or 2. It's a
          > shortcut to avoid writing 8 or 9 little vertical wedges.

          Believe it or not, its being an abbreviation had crossed my mind. I made
          a mental note to learn more about the rendering of Sumerian numerals and
          quantities of various commodities.

          > The expression
          > ma$ usually refers to interest (Akk. cibtu) and is usually written má$,
          > but can be written with ma$. The expression má$-a-$a3-ga is common in Ur
          > III and earlier texts. See CAD Tsade, 158-163 s.v. cibtu A and especially
          > the bibliography at the end of the article.

          Thanks for the citation!

          >> 2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??
          >
          > Yes. Basically "(it) has gone out".

          Ah. I'll work more on that one after coffee.

          All very best,

          Michael Lane

          Message 4 of 12 , May 9 4:44 PM
            Many thanks to the several persons who replied to question about Sumerian!

            Bob, the numbers make sense, now that I recognize that udu is synonymous
            in this context with udu-nita.

            John, thanks for informing me that e- in e-ta-e3 is equivalent to i3-!

            I think I've got it all figured out now -- but I'm please to know that so
            many on this list are willing to share their expertise, and I may turn to
            your good grace again.

            All very best,

            Michael Lane
            Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

            --
            Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
            Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
            Ancient Studies Department
            Fine Arts Building, Room 452
            1000 Hilltop Circle
            Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
            Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
          • Andrés Piquer Otero
            Message 5 of 12 , May 21 12:43 PM
              Dear ANErs,

              I am pleased to forward the program of the incoming symposium After
              Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts: The Historical Books,
              to be celebrated at the University of Alcalá (Madrid), and organized
              by the Universities of Alcalá, Complutense de Madrid and Katholieke
              Universiteit Leuven May 31st-June 2nd 2010.

              I send a pasted text version, if any of you is interested, I may
              forward the .pdf program.

              Regards, and apologies for cross-postings,

              Andrés Piquer Otero
              Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos
              Facultad de Filología
              Universidad Complutense de Madrid

              Symposium After Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts
              The Historical Books
              Universidad de AlcalЗ,
              Madrid, May 31st – June 2nd 2010

              Program
              May 31st

              9.00 Presentation

              Session A: Theological Tendencies – Historical Linguistics –
              Textual and Literary Criticism (Chair: E. Ulrich)

              9.15 Emanuel Tov, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, “Theological
              Tendencies in the Masoretic Text of Samuel ”
              9.50 Jan Joosten, UniversitО de Strasbourg, “Textual Developments
              and Historical Linguistics”
              10.25 Break
              10.45 Zipora Talshir, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, “Textual
              Criticism at the Service of Literary Criticism and the Question of an
              Eclectic Edition of the Hebrew Bible”
              11.20 Discussion

              Tour of the University (Colegio Mayor de San Ildefonso)

              Session B: The Books of Samuel (Chair: F. GarcТa MartТnez)

              15.00 Eugene Ulrich, University of Notre Dame, “David, the Plague,
              and the Angel: 2 Samuel 24 Revisited”
              15.35 Anneli Aejmelaeus, University of Helsinki, “What Rahlfs Could
              not Know: 1 Samuel 14:4-5 in the Old Greek.”
              16.10 Break
              16.30 Philippe Hugo, UniversitО de Fribourg, “Old and New Editions
              in the Account of the KingЂs Return (2 Sam 19,10-16)”
              17.05 Kristin de Troyer, University of St. Andrews, “Bathsheba and
              Nathan: A Closer Look at their Characterizations in MT, Kaige and the
              Antiochian Text”
              17.40 Discussion

              June 1st

              Session C: The Books of Joshua and Judges (Chair: A. Aejmelaeus)

              9.00 Florentino GarcТa MartТnez, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven,
              “Light on the Joshua Books from the Dead Sea Scrolls”
              9.35 Natalio FernЗndez Marcos, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones
              CientТficas, Madrid, “The B-text of Judges: Kaige-Revision and
              beyond”
              10.10 Break
              10.40 Hans Ausloos & Benedicte Lemmelijn, Katholieke Universiteit
              Leuven, “Characterising the LXX Translation of Judges on the Basis of
              Content-Related Criteria. Confronting the Greek Rendering of Hebrew
              Absolute Hapax Legomena and Hebrew Aetiologies” 11.15 Discussion

              Session D: The Books of Kings (Chair: A. Schenker)
              15.00 Pablo Torijano Morales, “Textual Criticism and the Text-
              Critical Edition of IV Regnorum. The Case of 17:2-6”
              15.35 Julio Trebolle Barrera, “Textual Pluralism, Composition and
              Redaction in the Books of Kings (2 Kgs 17:2-23 MT, LXX, OL)”
              16.10 AndrОs Piquer Otero, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, “What
              Text to Edit? The Oxford Hebrew Bible Edition of 2Kgs 17”
              16.45 Discussion

              Tour of AlcalЗ

              June 2nd

              Session E: The Books of Kings (Chair: E. Tov)
              9.00 Timothy M. Law, Oxford University, “Do 'the Three' Give Any
              Insight into the Textual History of the Books of Kings?”
              9.35 Johan Lust, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, “Solomon's Temple
              According to 1Kgs 6:1-14 in Hebrew and in Greek”
              10.10 Break
              10.40 Adrian Schenker, UniversitО de Fribourg, “What do Scribes, and
              What do Editors do? The Hebrew Text of the Masoretes, the Old Greek
              Bible and the Alexandrian Philological Ekdoseis of the 4th and 3d
              centuries B.C. in Light of 2 Kings 1”
              11.15 Discussion
              12.30 Closing Session

              Symposium organized by:
              Universidad Complutense de Madrid
              Universidad de AlcalЗ de Henares
              Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

              Organizing Committee:
              Pablo Torijano Morales, AndrОs Piquer Otero and Julio Trebolle
              Barrera, Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos, Universidad
              Complutense de Madrid
              Hans Ausloos, BenОdicte Lemmelijn and Florentino GarcТa MartТnez,
              Center for Septuagint Studies and Textual Criticism, Katholieke
              Universiteit Leuven

              Sessions held at Room 3M
              Rectorado, Colegio de San Ildefonso
              Plaza de San Diego s/n