Re: [ANE-2] Sinai rock drawings and inscriptions

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7 4:52 PM
      Some volumes of published rock inscriptions including from Sinai:

      Main Title:
      Rock inscriptions and graffiti project : catalogue of inscriptions / edited by Michael E. Stone ; editorial assistant, Leslie Avital Kobayashi.

      Published/Created:
      Atlanta : Scholars Press, c1992-c1994.

      Related Names:
      Stone, Michael E., 1938-

      3 v. : maps ; 24 cm.

      ISBN:
      1555407900 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
      1555407919 (v. 1 : pbk. : alk. paper)
      1555407927 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
      1555407935 (v. 2 : pbk. : alk. paper)
      1555409458 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
      1555409466 (v. 3 : pbk. : alk. paper)

      Contents:
      v. 1. Inscriptions 1-3000 -- v. 2. Inscriptions 3001-6000 -- v. 3. Inscriptions 6001-8500.

      Notes:
      Includes bibliographical references (v. 1, p. 13-14) and indexes.

      Subjects:
      Bible --Antiquities --Catalogs.
      Inscriptions --Palestine --Catalogs.
      Inscriptions --Egypt --Sinai --Catalogs.
      Graffiti --Palestine --Catalogs.
      Graffiti --Egypt --Sinai --Catalogs.
      Palestine --Antiquities --Catalogs.
      Sinai (Egypt) --Antiquities --Catalogs.

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall59@...

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7 8:17 PM
        Trudy, thank you for your helpful response. I am assuming that you are
        talking about the photograph of the rock-face between Serabit and
        Sharm el-Sheikh.

        The other two, from Timna Mine 25, are described as 'engraving 1 and
        2' by Rothenberg; the second is incised into the rock with a sharp
        point, he says, and many of its lines were filled in with red and
        white colour, and he had never known anything like it in his life,
        except in Egyptian wall-paintings; it includes Egyptian chariots.

        On 8/05/2009, at 3:37 AM, Trudy Kawami wrote:

        <The general term for these kinds of images is "petroglyphs." >
        This is the first word that came into my head, but I thought it only
        applied to a single character, not a complete picture.

        <They are
        well documented throughout Western & Central Asia (& parts of North
        America and South Africa) and are associated with nomadic hunters and
        pastoralists. Recent work further associates them with various forms of
        shamanism, vision quests, and related spiritual activities.>

        In southern Africa the artists were under the influence of
        hallucinogens (I once heard)?

        And the hunters sat there looking at the picture-show expecting that
        by magic the things portrayed in the images would take place
        successfully when they went outside?

        *** What about the 'kites' I mentioned, associated with pictures/
        petroglyphs?***

        < They appear
        to have functioned in a totally different way from inscrptions, that is
        writing. The petroglyphs occur only on certain types of limestone and
        are produced by "pecking", that is pounding the rock surface to destroy
        the patina and expose the lighter-colored stone beneath. There is also a
        difference in texture between the rock face and the pecked areas that
        can affect the appearance of the petroglyphs in different lighting
        conditions. The rock patina takes many thousands of years to produce and
        the petroglyphs remain visible for thousands as well.>

        <"Drawings" >
        I used that word non-technically

        <& "engravings" >
        Rothenberg's drawing (!) of the picture (his word) of 'engraving 2'
        has a legend indicating: carved, carved & red, carved & grey, pecked,
        engraved, red colour only.

        <have very specific meanings and the terms do not apply here>.

        But Beno's careful distinctions have validity?

        Brian Colless

        It is our 50th wedding anniversary here (Friday) but we are having the
        celebrations tomorrow.