Re: [ANE-2] nimedu-throne

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2009
      On Tue, 5 May 2009, carla sulzbach wrote:

      > Would any of the learned listers be able to enlighten me concerning the
      > meaning of 'nimedu-throne'?
      >
      > It occurs in the caption of the Lachish reliefs describing Sennacherib's
      > throne. What specifically does the element 'nimedu' mean?

      It's not much of a mystery, but you may have difficulty looking it up if
      you take the word as nimedu. It is actually ne:medu, a mapras form from
      the verb eme:du "to lean against, to support". As such, a ne:medu is an
      instrument for supporting something. With reference to furniture, it
      usually means provided with an armrest, backrest, or footstool. CAD (N/2,
      p. 156 s.v. ne:medu 2a) translates this occurrence "armchair":
      "Sennacherib sat in an armchair and the booty of Lachish passed in review
      in front of him."

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...