nimedu-throne

  • carla sulzbach
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2009
      Would any of the learned listers be able to enlighten me concerning the meaning of 'nimedu-throne'?

      It occurs in the caption of the Lachish reliefs describing Sennacherib's throne. What specifically does the element 'nimedu' mean?

      My thanks for any feedback,

      Carla Sulzbach

      Ph.D. Cand. Religious Studies

      McGill University

    • Robert M Whiting
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2009
        On Tue, 5 May 2009, carla sulzbach wrote:

        > Would any of the learned listers be able to enlighten me concerning the
        > meaning of 'nimedu-throne'?
        >
        > It occurs in the caption of the Lachish reliefs describing Sennacherib's
        > throne. What specifically does the element 'nimedu' mean?

        It's not much of a mystery, but you may have difficulty looking it up if
        you take the word as nimedu. It is actually ne:medu, a mapras form from
        the verb eme:du "to lean against, to support". As such, a ne:medu is an
        instrument for supporting something. With reference to furniture, it
        usually means provided with an armrest, backrest, or footstool. CAD (N/2,
        p. 156 s.v. ne:medu 2a) translates this occurrence "armchair":
        "Sennacherib sat in an armchair and the booty of Lachish passed in review
        in front of him."

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...