hippodamien?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
      Is there an English equivalent for the French word _hippodamien_, referring to a town plan with rectangular enclosure and a grid of straight streets? (I'm translating an article on Sogdian history & archeology.) I suppose it relates to some type site that was laid out that way (just as in the US we refer to such a city plan as the "Charleston plan," for the first town to use it).

      Merci! --
      Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
    • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
        "Hippodamian," after Hippodamos of Miletos. Or did you need
        something more technical and less Greek?

        -Stephanie Budin

        Quoting "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...>:

        > Is there an English equivalent for the French word _hippodamien_,
        > referring to a town plan with rectangular enclosure and a grid
        > of straight streets? (I'm translating an article on Sogdian history
        > & archeology.) I suppose it relates to some type site that was laid
        > out that way (just as in the US we refer to such a city plan as the
        > "Charleston plan," for the first town to use it).
        >
        > Merci! --
        > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

        "Maybe we can link up with someone who's meditating and download
        enlightenment!" -Tachikoma
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
          That was fast! Thanks. (What could be more technical?)

          I assumed that would be the shape of the corresponding English word, but I couldn't think of something Greek (to go with hippo-) that the -dam- could be.

           --
          > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@verizon. net
        • Yitzhak Sapir
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2009
            Dear all,

            According to this book (Archeologia Cristina, 1980, p. 323), there is
            a 2nd century CE mosaic from Turmus Ayya:
            http://books.google.com/books?id=9zL_5BaqKPEC&pg=PA323
            Does anyone have more information about it or the related antiquities
            at the site? or even a picture?

            Yitzhak Sapir